Men's Tennis Bounces Back with Dominant Performance
AUSTIN, Texas - After a hard-fought loss on Friday, the Wildcats handled business against Liberty with a 4-0 win to wrap up the weekend. Arizona won it's fourth straight doubles point in another great performance.
No. 105 Gustaf Strom went 4-0 in singles and doubles and was the only Wildcat to go undefeated. No. 54 Filip Malbasic bounced back from a hard loss in three sets to a decisive victory today. Carlos Hassey finished the match by defeating his opponent, but the Wildcats lead in every singles match before it was called. Even the countless rain delays could not the Wildcats from rolling throughout the weekend.
Clancy Shields was incredibly proud of his team, "They battled all weekend. We fell just short yesterday and today we bounced back against a very good Liberty team. I'm starting to see some real growth as a group and this weekend definitely gives us a good measuring stick of where we are." Shields was also impressed with the play of his freshman Strom, "Incredibly happy for Gustaf who just showed up on campus a few weeks ago. He had a very good ranked win and he is only going to get better. There are very few players I have seen that compete as hard as him."
Gustaf also was pleased with his performance this weekend, "Happy with the way I played, especially in doubles. I enjoyed being a part of the team and playing with my teammates. Looking forward to the rest of the season and working towards our goals."
1. Ziverts/Middleton (ARIZ) def. Ferriera/Wilson (LIB) 7-5
2. Hassey/Reguant (ARIZ) vs. Thomas-Smith/Worst (LIB) 5-5 unf.
3. Strom/Malbasic (ARIZ) def. Muamba/Da Silva (LIB) 6-2
Order of finish: 3, 1
1. No. 50 Jonas Ziverts (ARIZ) vs. Nicaise Muamba (LIB) 6-1, 2-5 unf.
2. Alejandro Reguant (ARIZ) vs. Josh Wilson (LIB) 6-1, 6-5 unf.
3. No. 105 Gustaf Strom (ARIZ) def. Goncalo Ferriera (LIB) 6-2, 6-4
4. No. 54 Filip Malbasic (ARIZ) def. R. Marques Da Silva (LIB) 6-2, 6-2
5. Carlos Hassey (ARIZ) def. Christiaan Worst (LIB) 6-3, 6-4
6. Nick Lagaev (ARIZ) vs. Deji Thomas-Smith (LIB) 6-3, 5-1 unf.
Order of finish: 4, 5, 3