#20 ASU Sweeps Iowa
AUSTIN, Texas - The No. 20 ASU women's tennis team (2-1) concluded its weekend in Austin, Texas with a 4-0 sweep over unranked Iowa (0-2) Sunday morning on the final day of the ITA Kickoff Weekend. Sunday's victory featured the freshman/senior pair of Marianna Argyrokastriti and Sammi Hampton earning their third straight doubles win and straight-set victories from Argyrokastriti, Lauryn John-Baptiste and Tereza Kolarova.
"Really proud of how the girls bounced back from a tough loss yesterday and took it to Iowa today," head coach Sheila McInerney said. "Iowa is a much improved team this year and are well-coached so we knew it was important to be switched on all the way through. Credit to No. 1 doubles for clinching the doubles point today after a tough match yesterday and to No. 3 doubles for taking care of business again. Singles was a total team effort and everyone competed hard at their spot, which is what we always ask for."
Dubya ?? pic.twitter.com/BebBkeVUbD
— Arizona State Women's Tennis (@sundevilwtennis) January 24, 2021
How it happened
The day started with Argyrokastriti and Hampton earning a decisive victory at No. 3. The pair went up 2-1, then 4-2, and controlled the match from there to kick off the day with a 6-2 victory.
Doubles play concluded with the No. 50 pairing of Ilze Hattingh and John-Baptiste taking an early 4-1 lead over Iowa's Alexa Noel/Samantha Mannix at No. 1. The Hawkeyes fought back and brought their point total to four, but their push wasn't enough as the ASU duo won 6-4 to give the Sun Devils a 1-0 lead.
John Baptiste was the first off the courts today. She opened with a 6-0 clean sheet at No. 3 before giving ASU a 2-0 lead with a 6-3 second-set victory, her first singles win of the year. Kolarova mirrored her teammate's performance at No. 6, also winning her first set 6-0 before closing out with a 6-2 second frame.
The Sun Devils clinched the match with Argyrokastriti's 6-4, 6-4 win at No. 5, her second singles win of the season.
ASU hosts Northern Arizona next Sunday, Jan. 31 at noon MST at the Whiteman Tennis Courts. The match kicks off a three-match home stand for the Sun Devils that features Oklahoma and Kansas State coming to town.
Jan 24, 2021 at Austin, Texas
(Weller Tennis Center)
#20 Arizona State 4, Iowa Hawkeyes 0
1. #37 Hattingh,Ilze (ASU) vs. #97 Alexa Noel (IOWA) 7-5, 2-0, unfinished
2. #115 Hampton,Sammi (ASU) vs. Elise van Heuvelen (IOWA) 3-6, 4-4, unfinished
3. John-Baptiste,Lauryn (ASU) def. Samantha Gilas (IOWA) 6-0, 6-3
4. Morlet,Giulia (ASU) vs. Vipasha Mehra (IOWA) 6-2, 3-4, unfinished
5. Argyrokastriti,M (ASU) def. Samantha Mannix (IOWA) 6-4, 6-4
6. Kolarova,Tereza (ASU) def. Michelle Bacalla (IOWA) 6-0, 6-2
1. #50 Hattingh,Ilze/John-Baptiste,Lauryn (ASU) def. Alexa Noel/Samantha Mannix (IOWA) 6-4
2. Kolarova,Tereza/Morlet,Giulia (ASU) vs. Elise van Heuvelen/Michelle Bacalla (IOWA) 5-6, unfinished
3. Argyrokastriti,M/Hampton,Sammi (ASU) def. Danielle Bauers/Samantha Gilas (IOWA) 6-2
Iowa Hawkeyes 0-2
Arizona State 2-1; National ranking #20
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (3,6,5)