Utes Fall 5-2 Against Wichita State To Close Out Road Trip
DALLAS – The Utah men's tennis team fell to Wichita State 5-2 on Sunday at the SMU Tennis Complex to close out the three-match road trip.
The Shockers won the doubles point after Utah's top two doubles teams dropped the match. Franco Capalbo and Geronimo Espin Busleiman dropped the match in a tiebreaker on the No. 1 court 7-3 to give Wichita State a 1-0 lead.
In singles competition, Wichita State picked up the first singles point on court two after Slava Shainyan fell 6-3, 6-3. Utah found themselves in battles across the board when the remaining five singles players all went to a third set. Mathias Gavelin and Bruno Krenn both fell 6-2 in their third sets to see Wichita State clinch the match at 4-0.
The Shockers then picked up the fifth point after Capalbo fell in his third set at the No. 1 position. Busleiman and Bastias battled it out on courts No. 3 and No. 4, respectively, coming away with two Ute wins. Bastias took the win on court four after dropping his first set and then bouncing back with 6-4, 6-3 wins. Busleiman won the first set 6-3, but dropped a 7-5 match to head to the third. Tightly contested throughout the entire match, Busleiman squeaked out a 7-6 (8-6) tiebreaker win in the third for Utah's second point.
Utah will return to the friendly confines of the George S. Eccles Tennis Center in Salt Lake City next Saturday to begin a seven-match homestand. Utah will host Idaho State in a doubleheader on Saturday, Jan. 30. The Utes and Bengals will play at 10:30 a.m. MT, followed by a match at 5 p.m. MT.
Wichita State 5, Utah 2
1. Stefan Latinovic/Luka Mrsic (WSU) def. Franco Capalbo/Geronimo Espin Busleiman (Utah) 7-6 (7-3)
2. Nicolas Acevedo/Orel Ovil (WSU) def. Mathias Gavelin/Slava Shainyan (Utah) 6-2
3. Yi Jui Lo/Marius Frosa (WSU) vs. Randy Cory/Francisco Bastias (Utah) 6-6, unf.
1. Marius Frosa (WSU) def. Franco Capalbo (Utah) 6-7 (7-5), 6-1, 6-4
2. Stefan Latinovic (WSU) def. Slava Shainyan (Utah) 6-3, 6-3
3. Geronimo Espin Busleiman (Utah) def. Orel Ovil (WSU) 6-3, 5-7, 7-6 (8-6)
4. Francisco Bastias (Utah) def. Nicolas Acevedo (WSU) 3-6, 6-4, 6-3
5. Yi Jui Lo (WSU) def. Mathias Gavelin (Utah) 3-6, 6-1, 6-2
6. Luka Mrsic (WSU) def. Bruno Krenn (Utah) 6-4, 5-7, 6-2