Fourth-Ranked Utah Gymnasts To Welcome Washington Saturday Night
The No. 4 Utah gymnasts (4-1, 1-0 Pac-12) continue conference play at the Jon M. Huntsman Center, hosting the Washington Huskies (0-1, 0-1 Pac-12) this Saturday, Jan. 30. The Utes and Huskies will be televised on ESPNU at 8 p.m. MT. John Roethlisberger and Alicia Sacramone-Quinn will serve as this weekend's talent for ESPNU. The meet will also be broadcast on Utah's flagship radio, ESPN 700.
IN THE RANKINGS
After a season-high score of 197.075, Utah moved back up to No. 4 in the nation. Utah also improved its rank on every event this week, moving to tied for No. 3 on floor, tied for No. 4 on beam, and No. 8 on both vault and bars. Utah sophomore Maile O'Keefe leads the Utes in the individual standings and is ranked tied for No. 5 on beam, No. 7 in the all-around and tied for No. 20 on floor. Cammy Hall is tied for No. 20 on vault, while Cristal Isa ranks No. 24 in the all-around.
• Utah scored a season-high 49.275 on vault and matched its season-high 49.275 on bars against Arizona.
• Utah's floor lineup, even with exchanging gymnasts, has remained extremely consistent and has varied by just 0.050 and 0.025 points between meets. Utah has scored a 49.350, 49.300 and 49.325 on floor through three meets to rank tied for third in the country.
• Nine Red Rocks hit or surpassed a season-high mark on an event against Arizona. Thirteen total scores were season-high or season-tying marks. Alexia Burch posted season highs on every event she competed – vault (9.90), bars (9.85), and beam (9.85).
• Utah has hit 70-72 routines this season. Gymnasts who have hit every routine are Cristal Isa (11-11), Maile O'Keefe (11-11), Abby Paulson (9-9), Jaedyn Rucker (6-6), Lucy Stanhope (5-5), Adrienne Randall (4-4), Jaylene Gilstrap (3-3), Cammy Hall (3-3), Alani Sabado (3-3) and Sydney Soloski (3-3).
• Individual event winners this season are O'Keefe (6), Hall (2), Soloski (2), Burch (1), Isa (1), and Paulson (1).
• Pac-12 award winners this season for Utah are O'Keefe (Gymnast of the Week), Soloski (Specialist), and Rucker (Coaches' Choice), who all earned their respective award on Jan. 21 for performances against Oklahoma.
INTO THE DEPTHS
Of the available 12 gymnasts, all 12 have competed in a Utah lineup this season, while 10 Red Rocks have competed on at least two events in a meet this year. On Saturday against Arizona, Utah saw swaps in the lineup to beam and floor to test the depth of the team, as well as exhibitions ready to go on all events. Jaylene Gilstrap saw her beam debut as a Ute, while Adrienne Randall entered the floor lineup for the first time this year. Utah also adjusted the floor lineup's order in four of the six spots from the previous week and still managed to post an event score within 0.025 of the floor score versus Oklahoma, which goes on to show the talent is there to go along with the lineup depth.
Utah leads the all-time series with Washington 61-0-2 (24-0 in Salt Lake City). The Red Rocks have never lost to Washington, but have tied the Huskies twice (both in Seattle). Utah has won the last 17 contests dating back to the tie in 2013. Last year, Utah and Washington met in the 2020 Pac-12 regular season title meet where Utah went on to score a 49.600 on beam to win the meet 197.675-197.600 and win the inaugural Pac-12 regular season title. The win marked Tom Farden's 100th win of his career at Utah.
Coach: Ralph Rosso (1st Season)
2020 Final Ranking: No. 11
Notes: Washington is coming off a season-opening loss against Oregon State after dropping the opener 192.875-194.925 … Washington saw Skylar Kilough-Wihelm and Geneva Thompson compete in the season opener to lead the way for the Huskies … The Huskies have six freshman on the team, as well as three returners making their first appearances in competition … Thompson highlights the returners as an All-Pac-12 vault selection in 2020 … Former Ute All-American Baely Rowe serves as the assistant coach for Washington.
Utah gymnastics is set for its first road Pac-12 competition of the season next Saturday, Feb. 6, when the Red Rocks travel to Tempe, Ariz. Utah is scheduled to face No. 15 Arizona State on Saturday at either 1 p.m. MT or 7 p.m. MT on the Pac-12 Networks.