Colorado Downs North Dakota To Improve To 2-0
AMES, Iowa – The University of Colorado women's tennis team improved to 2-0 after taking down North Dakota (0-2) Friday afternoon here by a score of 6-1.
"Overall, we are happy with today," said head coach Danielle Steinberg. "We know this season is going to be a building process with not playing matches for almost a year. We just want to get better with every match we play and we definitely did that today. We are super excited for tomorrow. Iowa State is a great opportunity for us to compete against a top-caliber team and see where we stand early in the season."
Colorado got off to a hot start in doubles play, picking up a sweep in the No.3 doubles match with Megan Forster and Maria Campos. Fleur Eggink and Antonia Balzert dropped their No.2 doubles match against Sapir Sela and Andrea Jansson by a score of 6-1, but Sara Nayar and Sophia Derivan clinched the doubles point with a 6-1 victory of their own against Kaede Amano and Allie Ochotorena.
Transitioning to singles play, North Dakota tied up the match at one apiece with a quick 6-3, 6-2 victory in the No.5 singles match for Nina Zdravkovic over Eggink. Campos retook the lead for Colorado in the No.6 singles match with a 6-3, 6-0 win against Isa Sullivan, and the Buffs were off and running.
Forster took the next win against Jansson by a score of 6-1, 6-3 in the No.4 match, followed quickly by Derivan in the No.2 match against Sela by a score of 6-4, 6-0 to clinch the match. Nayar finished off Amano in the No.1 singles match by a score of 7-5, 6-2, while Antonia Balzert closed things out with a 5-7, 6-2, 10-4 comeback against Ochotorena.
Colorado takes on host school Iowa State tomorrow at 10 a.m. MT.
1. Sara Nayar (COLO) def. Kaede Amano (ND) 7-5, 6-2
2. Sophia Derivan (COLO) def. Sapir Sela (ND) 6-4, 6-0
3. Antonia Balzert (COLO) def. Allie Ochotorena (ND) 5-7, 6-2, 10-4
4. Megan Forster (COLO) def. Andrea Jansson (ND) 6-1, 6-3
5. Nina Zdravkovic (ND) def. Fleur Eggink (COLO) 6-3, 6-2
6. Maria Campos (COLO) def. Isa Sullivan (ND) 6-3, 6-0
Order of Finish: 5, 6, 4, 2, 1, 3
1. Sara Nayar/Sophia Derivan (COLO) def. Kaede Amano/Allie Ochotorena (ND) 6-1
2. Sapir Sela/Andrea Jansson (ND) def. Fleur Eggink/Antonia Balzert (COLO) 6-1
3. Megan Forster/Maria Campos (COLO) def. Nina Zdravkovic/Angela Georgieva (ND) 6-0
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1