USC Women's Volleyball Drops Four-Set Decision to Oregon State in Season Opener
CORVALLIS, Ore. – The USC women's volleyball team (0-1, 0-1 Pac-12) lost to Oregon State (1-2, 1-2 Pac-12) in four sets (18-25, 25-22, 26-24, 25-12) at Gill Coliseum to open the 2020-21 season on Friday, Jan. 29. The Women of Troy had a nine-match winning streak over the Beavers snapped and fell to 37-8 all-time in season openers.
- Sr. OH Brooke Botkin logged her 19th-career double-double with 12 kills (5e, 34att, .206) and 10 digs; and added two service aces.
- So. OPP Emilia Weske recorded her second-career double-double with 10 kills and 11 digs. Weske's only other double-double also occurred at Oregon State on Oct. 18, 2019.
- So. OH Kalen Owes led all players with 17 kills (8e, 32att, .281) and added five digs.
- Jr. S Raquel Lázaro dished out 39 assists and had six digs, three kills, and two blocks.
- So. MB Madison Horin scored a career-high three service aces and finished with three kills and three blocks.
- In her first collegiate match, Fr. LIB Sam Hastings led the Trojans with 15 digs and put up seven assists.
- For Oregon State, Kateryna Tkachenko led with 15 kills (3e, 37att) and hit .324. Grace Massey led the Beaver defense with 15 digs. Three Beavers registered two service aces apiece including Maddie Goings who added six kills and three blocks.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- In his first match as a collegiate head coach, first-year USC head coach Brad Keller had his debut spoiled as the Beavers snapped a nine-match losing streak against the Trojans.
- USC came out and hit .414 with 17 kills in the first set. Oregon State was held to a .138 hitting rate in the opening frame as the Trojans out-dug the Beavers, 16-7, led by six digs from Hastings.
- Oregon State held off a USC comeback in the second set and claimed a 25-22 win despite being outscored, 15-13.
- USC fell behind by as many as five points in the third frame but came all the way back to earn a tie at 22-all. Oregon State pulled out the 26-24 win to go ahead, 2-1, in the match on back-to-back kills by Goings.
- The Beavers never trailed and finished off the Women of Troy with a 25-12 win in the fourth. Oregon State outscored USC, 17-9, in the final set and hit .500 with 13 kills (1e) on 24 swings to go with three service aces.
- The Women of Troy will face Oregon State a second time on Sunday (Jan. 31) at Gill Coliseum with first serve set for noon PT. The match will be streamed live. Links to the stream and live stats can be found at USCTrojans.com.
- USC fell to 57-10 all-time against Oregon State and goes to 27-7 against the Beavers in Corvallis, Ore.
- The Trojans dropped a season opener for the first time since 2016 and fell to 37-8 all-time in season openers.
- USC moves to 55-12 all-time in the state of Oregon and lost in the state for the first time since Nov. 23, 2014 (at Oregon).
This season, the Pac-12 will play a 22-match Conference-only schedule as its 2020 season, which began on Friday, Jan. 22, 2021. All volleyball competitions will be conducted in accordance with the Pac-12 COVID-19 Medical Advisory Committee health and safety recommendations and guidelines available at Pac-12.com/health.
For more information on the USC women's volleyball team and a complete schedule and results, please visit USCTrojans.com/WVB. Fans of the Women of Troy can follow @USCWomensVolley on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.