Trojans Take Down Beavers in Four for First Win
CORVALLIS, Ore. – The USC women's volleyball team (1-1, 1-1 Pac-12) defeated Oregon State (1-3, 1-3 Pac-12) in four sets (25-18, 25-12, 29-31, 25-23) at Gill Coliseum on Sunday, Jan. 31, to register the first win of the season and the first win in the career of first-year head coach Brad Keller.
- Sr. OH Brooke Botkin produced back-to-back double-doubles to start the season and recorded the 20th double-double of her career with 12 kills (4e, 35att, .229) and 12 digs. She also had two blocks and two service aces.
- Sr. MB Candice Denny got her first start in the Cardinal and Gold and finished with 11 kills (2e, 20att) and a .450 hitting percentage to go with a match-high six blocks and a service ace. It was her sixth-career match in double-digit kills.
- So. MB Aleksandra Gryka notched 11 kills (3e, 23att, .348) with five digs, three blocks, and a service ace.
- So. OPP Emilia Weske was the fourth Trojan in double-digit kills and finished with 10 kills (4e, 30att, .200) to go with four blocks, three digs, and two service aces.
- Jr. S Raquel Lázaro posted 39 assists and put up five service aces with three digs and two blocks.
- For Oregon State, Aliyah McDonald led with 13 kills (4e, 22att, .409) and Kateryna Tkachenko added 12 kills (10e, 44att, .045). Izzi Szulczewski had 26 assists and 12 digs for the double-double and Grace Massey led all players with 16 digs.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Trojans had four players in double-digit kills and logged a total of 12 service aces in the four-set win. The Beavers out-dug USC, 55-48, but were out-hit by the Women of Troy by a .177 to .116 clip.
- USC came out and controlled the tempo in the first two sets to get seven aces and out-score the Beavers, 21-11, in kills.
- The Trojans led, 19-15, in the third, but Oregon State fought off two match points to knot the score at 24-all. The Beavers went ahead each time and forced the fourth set with a 31-29 win.
- Oregon State started the fourth set strong but allowed the Trojans to get out in front by as many as six points twice. Facing a 21-15 hole, the Beavers clawed back within a point at 23-22 and then again at 24-23, but Botkin closed the books with her crosscourt kill and gave the Trojans their first win of the season.
- The Women of Troy host Oregon (2-2, 2-2 Pac-12) in a two-match home series next weekend at Galen Center. The Trojans and the Ducks take the floor for a 6 p.m. PT match on Friday (Feb. 5) and then again on Sunday (Feb. 7) at 2 p.m. PT. Both matches will be shown live on the Pac-12 Network.
- USC improved to 58-10 all-time against Oregon State and to 28-7 against the Beavers in Corvallis, Ore.
- The Trojans go to 56-12 all-time in the state of Oregon.
This season, the Pac-12 will play a 22-match Conference-only schedule as its 2020 season, which began on Friday, Jan. 22, 2021. All volleyball competitions will be conducted in accordance with the Pac-12 COVID-19 Medical Advisory Committee health and safety recommendations and guidelines available at Pac-12.com/health.
For more information on the USC women's volleyball team and a complete schedule and results, please visit USCTrojans.com/WVB. Fans of the Women of Troy can follow @USCWomensVolley on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.