USC Women's Volleyball Hosts Oregon at Galen Center
LOS ANGELES - The USC women's volleyball team (1-1, 1-1 Pac-12) plays its first-ever home matches under first-year head coach Brad Keller when the Trojans welcome Oregon (2-2, 2-2 Pac-12) to the Galen Center for two contests this weekend (Friday, Feb. 5 and Sunday, Feb. 7). The Women of Troy are 37-7 all-time in home openers with a 10-3 mark since the Galen Center opened in 2006.
AT THE NET
- The Women of Troy will play their first home matches of the 2021 season and the first home matches of the Brad Keller era when USC hosts Oregon on Feb. 5 and 7.
- USC is 169-42 all-time at the Galen Center for a .801 winning percentage, but has lost there five times each in the last two seasons (2018, 2019).
- The Trojans are 55-14 all-time against Oregon, which includes a 25-8 mark at home.
- At the Galen Center (since 2006) USC is 8-5 against the Ducks, but Oregon has won 5 of the last 7 meetings here including the last three straight (2016, 2018, 2019).
- In the teams' last meeting (Nov. 24, 2019), the Ducks pulled out an 18-16 win in the fifth set to extend their streak. It was the first time in 7 all-time five-set matches that Oregon had beaten USC.
- Prior to the arrival of first-year head coach Brad Keller who is also in his first year as a head coach, the Trojans were led by Hall of Fame coach Mick Haley for 17 seasons (2001-17) and Brent Crouch for two years (2018-19).
- The Trojans are led by returning 2018 All-American Brooke Botkin (Sr. OH) and the 2018 Pac-12 Freshman of the Year Raquel Lázaro (Jr. S). Both are part of the Preseason All-Pac-12 Team.
- USC was selected to finish fifth in a preseason poll of the league's head coaches.
- Last week, USC's loss to Oregon State in Corvallis, Ore., marked the first time the Trojans had lost a season opener since 2016 and dropped their all-time record in openers to 37-8.
- In home openers, USC is currently 37-7 all-time with a 10-3 mark at the Galen Center. The last time the Trojans suffered a loss in their home opener was 2016 (Aug. 26) in four sets against Marquette. That season, USC went 18-14 overall and fell to Hawai'i in the first round of the NCAA tournament.
- The 2020-21 Trojan roster features six new faces. Aleksandra Gryka was part of the 2019 freshman class but was not cleared to play until this season. USC signed two freshmen in Malaya Jones and Sam Hastings; and brought in three transfer players: Sophia Theriot (Marist), Kylie Baumert (Southern Idaho) , and Sarah Nelson (Duke).
- Sr. OH Brooke Botkin posted back-to-back double-doubles in Corvallis for her 19th and 20th-career double-doubles. Jr. S Raquel Lázaro leads all current Trojans with 32-career double-doubles. So. OH Kalen Owes has three-career double-doubles and sophomore OPP Emilia Weske has two.