Doubles Point Key in Home-Opening Win
EUGENE, Ore. – Oregon won the doubles point for the second straight match to start the season before cruising to a trio of singles victories in a 4-3 win over Portland State Friday at the Student Tennis Center.
How it Happened: The Ducks dominated pairs play at the No. 2 and 3 spots, winning those matches 6-3 and 6-2 to go put up the first point of the day. After dropping the first game, Allison Mulville and Madisen Olsen won the next five to take total command of the match, winning 6-2. Lillian Mould and Janice Tjen won their second match of the season as a pair, never trailing in their match on the way to a 6-3 win.
Tjen continued her strong play into singles, making quick work of Portland State's Lotti Meszaros at the No. 1 spot with a 6-1, 6-3 win. The freshman rolled to an opening set win, but trailed 3-1 in set two before winning five in a row to earn her second singles victory of the year. Uxia Martinez Moral put up the third point of the day with a 6-3, 6-1 win at the No. 4 spot, dominating in the second set after pulling away late in set one.
Kahfiani provided the clincher just a few moments later by finishing off a 6-2, 6-2 win on court No. 3. She rolled to an opening set win and was up 4-0 in set two, before holding off a small charge by PSU's Makoto Ohara to secure the sweep. Mould forced her second set into a tiebreaker after struggling in the opening set, but fell, 6-1, 7-6 (2) and Olsen dropped a hard-fought battle on court No. 6, 7-5, 6-4.
Quotable: Head Coach Courtney Nagle
"It's great to be back on our home court and have the opportunity to play again. The girls did a nice job competing even though we were down a few players, and I thought others did a great job stepping up. I'm looking forward to improving every week."
Oregon 4, Portland State 3
1. Rifanty Kahfiani/Uxia Martinez Moral (ORE) vs. Makoto Ohara/Capu Sanoner (PSU), 4-4 (uf)
2. Lillian Mould/Janice Tjen (ORE) def. Lotti Meszaros/Emily Rees (PSU), 6-3
3. Allison Mulville/Madisen Olsen (ORE) def. Ashley Ramirez/Gerda Upeniece, 6-2
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1
1. Janice Tjen (ORE) def. Lotti Meszaros (PSU), 6-1, 6-3
2. Capu Sanoner (PSU) def. Lillian Mould (ORE), 6-1, 7-6 (2)
3. Rifanty Kahfiani (ORE) def. Makoto Ohara (PSU), 6-2, 6-2
4. Uxia Martinez Moral (ORE) def. Emily Rees (PSU), 6-3, 6-1
5. Ashley Ramirez (PSU) def. Madisen Olsen (ORE), 7-5, 6-4
6. Portland State wins via default
Order of Finish: 6, 1, 4, 3*, 2, 5
Up Next: The Ducks are back in action Sunday when they host Idaho at 10 a.m. in the Student Tennis Center.