No. 2 Women's Tennis Advances to Indoors Semifinals
STILLWATER, Okla. – The No. 2 UCLA women's tennis team opened play at the ITA National Team Indoor Championships with a 4-0 win over No. 10 Oklahoma State, which had just four players available due to COVID-19 protocols.
The Bruins (3-0) were staked to a 2-0 lead before first serve at Greenwood Tennis Center and won each of the completed matches. Annette Goulak logged the deciding victory. UCLA will next meet the winner of Friday's final contest between No. 13 Northwestern and No. 3 Texas. The host Cowgirls dropped to 2-1 with the loss.
The doubles combination of Abi Altick and Abbey Forbes won its first decision of 2021, cruising to a 6-0 defeat of Lora Boggs and Daniela Medvedeva on Court 2 to give the Bruins a 3-0 advantage. The top court, which featured a back-and-forth affair between Goulak/Vivian Wolff and 34th-ranked Ayumi Miyamoto/Bunyawi Thamchaiwat, went unfinished.
On the singles courts, Goulak bested Boggs on Court 4, 6-2, 6-0, for her second singles win in as many appearances. Wolff took her first set from No. 77 Miyamoto, but was not able to finish on Court 2.
Tennis Match Results
UCLA vs Oklahoma State
2/5/2021 at Stillwater, OK
(Greenwood Tennis Center)
#2 UCLA 4, #10 Oklahoma State 0
1. #9 Elysia Bolton (UCLA) vs. #24 Bunyawi Thamchaiwat (OKST) 4-6, 1-0, unfinished
2. Vivian Wolff (UCLA) vs. #77 Ayumi Miyamoto (OKST) 6-2, 1-1, unfinished
3. Abi Altick (UCLA) vs. Daniella Medvedeva (OKST) 5-6, unfinished
4. Annette Goulak (UCLA) vs. Lora Boggs (OKST) 6-2, 6-0
1. Annette Goulak/Vivian Wolff (UCLA) vs. #34 Ayumi Miyamoto/Bunyawi Thamchaiwat (OKST) 2-3, unfinished
2. Abi Altick/Abbey Forbes (UCLA) def. Lora Boggs/Daniela Medvedeva (OKST) 6-0
UCLA 3-0; National ranking #2
Oklahoma State 2-1; National ranking #10
Order of finish: Doubles (2); Singles (6)
ITA National Team Indoor Championships – First Round