Ducks Beat Portland State, 6-1
EUGENE, Ore. – In the first of two Saturday matches with Portland State, the Oregon men's tennis team recorded a 6-1 victory at the UO Student Tennis Center. The Ducks improve to 3-0 with the triumph.
Oregon and Portland State (0-2) return to the court at 4:30 p.m. (PT) for their second matchup of the day.
The Ducks began the day by sweeping all three doubles matches, all with a matching 6-3 score line. At the top spot, Joshua Charlton and Brandon Lam were the first off the court, followed by Luke and Quinn Vandecasteele clinching the doubles point at the No. 3 spot.
With the win, Charlton has now reached 40 career wins in both singles and doubles play. The UO junior pushed the Ducks' lead to 2-0 with a straight-set victory at No. 2 singles, followed quickly by a 6-0, 6-1 victory at No. 4 singles by Luke Vandecasteele, good for a 3-0 advantage on the match scoreboard.
Freshman Ryoma Matsushita clinched the team victory with his 6-0, 6-4 win at No. 5 singles. Oregon went on to a 6-0 lead with straight-set wins from No. 76 Emmanuel Coste and Brandon Lam at No. 1 and 3 singles, respectively. Eugene native Nima Movassaghi made his UO debut at the six spot in the lineup.
Oregon 6, Portland State 1
1. Charlton/Lam (ORE) d. Edwards/Fortini (PSU) – 6-3
2. Coste/Klov-Nilsson (ORE) d. Hsu/Plutat – 6-3
3. L. Vandecasteele/Q. Vandecasteele (ORE) d. Husin/Roberts – 6-3
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2
1. No. 76 Emmanuel Coste (ORE) d. Matteo Fortini (PSU) – 6-2, 6-2
2. No. 30 Joshua Charlton (ORE) d. Tommy Edwards (PSU) – 6-1, 6-2
3. Brandon Lam (ORE) d. Nikola Dimitrijevic (PSU) – 7-5, 6-2
4. Luke Vandecasteele (ORE) d. Nils Plutat (PSU) – 6-0, 6-1
5. Ryoma Matsushita (ORE) d. Bryan Husin (PSU) – 6-0, 6-4
6. Tommy Hsu (PSU) d. Nima Movassaghi (ORE) – 6-2, 4-6, 1-0(9)
Order of Finish: 2, 4, 5*, 3, 1, 6
* - clincher
For more news and information about the Ducks, follow @OregonMTennis on Instagram and Twitter, and @OregonMensTennis on Facebook.