USC Women Drop Five-Set Decision to Ducks
LOS ANGELES – The USC women's volleyball team (1-3, 1-3 Pac-12) dropped a second straight five-set match (22-25, 25-20, 25-18, 23-25, 15-8) to Oregon (4-2, 4-2 Pac-12) at Galen Center on Sunday, Feb. 7. It was the third consecutive time the two teams played to five sets but only the ninth time in the all-time series.
- Sr. OH Brooke Botkin delivered a fourth straight double-double to start the season and the 22nd double-double of her career with 16 kills (7e, 43att, .209) to go with 13 digs and two blocks.
- Jr. S Raquel Lázaro posted 46 assists with 11 digs for her second straight double-double and the 34th of her career. Lázaro also had two blocks and a kill to her final line.
- So. OPP Emilia Weske reached a new career mark on 18 kills (4e, 37att, .378) with three blocks and two digs.
- Fr. L Sam Hastings put up another 20-dig match and had three assists.
- For Oregon, Gloria Mutiri had 14 kills (3e, 32att, .344) to lead the team and Brooke Nuneviller put up a double-double with 11 kills (7e, 42att, .095) and 15 digs. Elise Ferreira served five aces and had five digs to go with 18 assists.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Women of Troy outscored the Ducks, 71-67, and had more kills than the Ducks by a 60-51 margin. USC also out-dug Oregon by a 66-61 count and stayed even with the Ducks with nine blocks a side.
- The Trojans had a better hitting percentage through the duration of the match, but the Ducks held USC to a .000 (5k, 5e) hitting rate in the final set to overtake the Trojans and finish .218 to .206. USC's 21 service errors played a major factor in the Trojans' troubles.
- The score was tied 10 times in the opening set, but USC claimed the sixth and final lead change and finished a 25-22 win. The Ducks responded with a 25-20 win in the second by employing a 7-1 run to close the set and split the match.
- Oregon was unbothered in the third. The Ducks went ahead by three at 15-12 and never let the Trojans get any closer than two points en route to a 25-18 win and a 2-1 lead in the match.
- A dogfight of a fourth frame ended with USC on top after Weske's kill and Botkin's service ace closed out a 25-23 win.
- USC jumped out to a 4-1 lead in the fifth, but Oregon used a 6-1 run to go on top, 7-5. Unforced errors kept the Trojans off balance as Oregon raced ahead to close the match with a 15-8 victory.
- USC heads to the Rocky Mountains for a pair of matches against Pac-12 leader Utah (6-0). The Trojans and the Utes meet at Jon M. Huntsman Center in Salt Lake City for a Friday-afternoon clash (Feb. 12) at 3 p.m. MT (2 p.m. PT) and then reprise the match-up at noon MT (11 a.m. PT) on Sunday (Feb. 14). Both matches will be shown live on Pac-12 Network.
- USC fell to 55-16 all-time against Oregon, including a 25-10 mark in home matches. The Ducks have won seven of the last nine meetings.
- The last three times USC and Oregon have met (all at Galen Center) have been five-set affairs. It was the ninth time that the teams have gone the distance as the Ducks improved to 3-6 all-time in those meetings.
- The Trojans dropped to 169-44 all-time at Galen Center.
- The Trojans fell to 140-92 in all-time five-set matches with a 56-34 record in home five-setters.
This season, the Pac-12 will play a 22-match Conference-only schedule as its 2020 season, which began on Friday, Jan. 22, 2021. All volleyball competitions will be conducted in accordance with the Pac-12 COVID-19 Medical Advisory Committee health and safety recommendations and guidelines available at Pac-12.com/health.
For more information on the USC women's volleyball team and a complete schedule and results, please visit USCTrojans.com/WVB. Fans of the Women of Troy can follow @USCWomensVolley on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.