Pac-12 Tennis Players of The Week - Feb. 11, 2021
Feb 11, 2021
MEN’S TENNIS PLAYER OF THE WEEK: Nathan Ponwith, Sr., ARIZONA STATE (Scottsdale, Ariz.)
- Hometown standout Nathan Ponwith added three wins to his perfect singles record (5-0) and extended his doubles winning streak to four matches (4-1, partnered with freshman Max McKennon) to help Arizona State take down Grand Canyon, No. 22 Pepperdine and Northern Arizona in a span of five days last week.
- Ponwith swept each No. 1 singles opponents in two sets and never allowed them to get more than three points in a set.
- In doubles, partnered with McKennon to win each match 6-3, including against a Pepperdine duo that included 90th-ranked singles player Corrado Summaria.
- ASU is now 4-1 overall and 4-0 at home.
WOMEN’S TENNIS PLAYER OF THE WEEK: Jada Hart, Graduate Student, UCLA (Colton, Calif.)
- Hart defeated a pair of ranked singles opponents for UCLA, which left the ITA National Team Indoor Championships in Stillwater, Okla., with wins over a pair of top-10 teams.
- On Sunday, Hart bested No. 45 Lexi Ryngler of Pepperdine with ease, 6-1, 6-3, to break a 1-1 tie, for her second triumph over a ranked opponent in as many days.
- Hart bounced back from her first doubles loss to beat No. 94 Lulu Sun in comeback fashion, 1-6, 6-2, 6-4 and helped the Bruins go on to beat the No. 5 Waves, 4-2.
2021 PAC-12 MEN'S & WOMEN'S TENNIS PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
|Feb. 3||Daniel Cukierman, USC||Elysia Bolton, UCLA|
|Feb. 11||Nathan Ponwith, ASU||Jada Hart, UCLA|