No. 19 Cal Routs Pacific 7-0
BERKELEY – Nineteenth-ranked California women's tennis posted another dominant performance on Friday at the Hellman Tennis Complex, not dropping a set for the second consecutive match en route to a 7-0 victory over Pacific. Cal senior Julia Rosenqvist clinched the win with a straight-set result over Zoe Eberle at court-two singles.
Cal improved its record to 4-1 – including 3-0 at home – while the Tigers fell to 0-2.
The Bears swept the three doubles matches, with the 40th-ranked Haley Giavara and Valentina Ivanov clinching the point with a 6-1 win over Eberle and Klara Kosan on court one.
In singles, Cal senior Anna Bright quickly defeated Danielle Zamora, 6-1, 6-2, on court five, and then the 26th-ranked Ivanov followed with a 6-2, 6-1 win over Elise Frigout on court three. Rosenqvist, ranked 43rd, also won 6-2, 6-1 against Eberle to secure the overall victory.
"We were pleased to have a beautiful day here at Hellman and to get another match in," Cal head coach Amanda Augustus said. "We're thankful that Pacific came out here to play us. We've been really working hard on doubles, and it showed because we did a really good job today in the doubles. We definitely improved on all three courts from the last time we played, and that bodes well going forward.
"We transitioned really well into the singles, not losing a set today, which was great. Across all the courts, everyone's settling into dual-match play, and that's a great thing. We're really enjoying every opportunity we get to compete and we're looking forward to the upcoming matches, as we continue to push towards a championship."
The homestand continues next week when Cal hosts No. 3 UCLA on Saturday, Feb. 20, at 12 p.m. The Bears then host UC Santa Barbara on Sunday, Feb. 21, at 12 p.m.
No. 19 California (4-1) defeated Pacific (0-2), 7-0
Feb. 12, 2021, in Berkeley, Calif.
Hellman Tennis Complex
1. No. 40 Haley Giavara/Valentina Ivanov (Cal) def. Klara Kosan/Zoe Eberle (Pacific), 6-1*
2. Anna Bright/Hannah Viller Moeller (Cal) def. Maya Lopez/Danielle Zamora (Pacific), 6-1
3. Erin Richardson/Julia Rosenqvist (Cal) def. Maile Brilhante/Ella LeRoy (Pacific), 6-1
Order of Finish – 2, 1*, 3
*Clinched the doubles point
1. No. 18 Haley Giavara (Cal) def. No. 70 Klara Kosan (Pacific), 7-6(7), 6-3
2. No. 43 Julia Rosenqvist (Cal) def. Zoe Eberle (Pacific), 6-2, 6-1^
3. No. 26 Valentina Ivanov (Cal) def. Elise Frigout (Pacific), 6-2, 6-1
4. Hannah Viller Moeller (Cal) def. Maya Lopez (Pacific), 6-0, 6-1
5. Anna Bright (Cal) def. Danielle Zamora (Pacific), 6-1, 6-2
6. Erin Richardson (Cal) def. Maile Brilhante (Pacific), 6-2, 7-5
Order of Finish –5, 3, 2^, 4, 6, 1
^Clinched the overall match