Sun Devils Endure Second-Straight Five-Set Loss at Oregon State
CORVALLIS, Ore. – Three Sun Devils reached double figures in kills as Arizona State volleyball fell in another five-set thriller (18-25, 25-23, 25-20, 21-25, 21-19) at Oregon State on Friday afternoon.
- Arizona State falls to 1-7 on the season after its second five-set loss in a row to Oregon State (3-5). The Sun Devils have gone to five sets in four matches, falling in all four of them.
- ASU had 11.0 blocks, the third match this season reaching double figures in blocks as a team. OSU had 14.0 blocks. The tough block on both sides caused sub-.200 hitting percentages for both teams.
- Three Sun Devils reached double figures in kills, led by freshman Marta Levinska's 20, matching her career high from yesterday's match. Middle blockers Megan Beedie and Kennedi Boyd had 12 and 11 kills, respectively. Those numbers were season highs for both of them.
- Boyd, a sophomore, notched career highs in kills and blocks with 11 and eight, respectively. She also had a .409 hitting percentage.
- Freshman setter Ella Snyder also set two career bests in the match. She had 43 assists and three aces, both personal bests.
- Sophomore libero Annika Larson led the team in digs with 19, her seventh match this season reaching double figures in digs. Fellow sophomore Iman Isanovic also earned double-digit digs, notching 10.
Set One: Arizona State 25, Oregon State 18
An 8-0 run for the Sun Devils put them up 13-5 early in the opening frame. Boyd had three kills in the streak, two of which were overpass kills off of tough serves from Isanovic. The Beavers fought their way back into the set, putting together a 6-1 run to cut the deficit to two, 17-15. With Larson at the service line, ASU closed out the set by scoring five in a row, led by two kills from Levinska, to win 25-18.
Set Two: Oregon State 25, Arizona State 23
An ace from Larson made it 4-2 early in the second set, but OSU put together runs of three and five to take the 13-8 lead. Behind three kills from Levinska, ASU scored six-straight points to take the one-point lead at 15-14. The Beavers responded with four in a row to get back on top. Two kills in a row from Boyd got the Sun Devils back within one at 23-22, but OSU held onto the lead to win 25-23.
Set Three: Oregon State 25, Arizona State 20
The Sun Devils jumped out to an early 4-1 lead, but the Beavers responded with four in a row to take the lead. After trailing by as much as five, Arizona State went on a 6-1 run, highlighted by two kills from Levinska, to cut the deficit to just one at 14-13. ASU scored two late points, including a kill from Beedie, but OSU completed the victory to take the 2-1 lead.
Set Four: Arizona State 25, Oregon State 21
Down in the match, the Sun Devils came out fired up in the fourth set. After the teams traded points to start the match, three-straight points put ASU up 10-8, capped off with an ace from Beedie. A 7-2 run that saw three kills from Levinska pushed the Sun Devil lead to 18-12, forcing two timeouts from the Beavers in that span. A couple of errors from OSU sealed the win for ASU, forcing a fifth set.
Set Five: Oregon State 21, Arizona State 19
The Beavers jumped out to an early 5-1 lead, forcing the Sun Devils to call their first timeout. ASU battled back, going on an 8-2 run led by two aces from Levinska that gave the visiting team an 11-8 advantage. A kill from Levinska got the Sun Devils to match point at 14-12, but the Beavers died it up at 14-14. Arizona State would go on to have six more match points but could not finish the job. Oregon State had its first match point at 19-18, which a kill from Beedie held off. However, OSU would score two in a row to win 21-19.
The Sun Devils will look to snap the losing streak next weekend as they host the UCLA Bruins on Friday at Sunday. Both matches will be on the ASU Live Stream.