Brateanu's 100th Career Win Comes After Utah Sweep on Saturday
SALT LAKE CITY – The Utah men's tennis team swept the Boise State Broncos on Saturday afternoon at the George S. Eccles Tennis Center where a celebration occurred post match, recognizing seventh-year head coach Roeland Brateanu's 100th career win at the helm of the program. The winners of five-straight, Utah (7-2) got the job done in doubles play and went 6-0 in singles to let the celebration begin.
No better way to celebrate your 100th career win, right????? Congrats again to our fearless leader! pic.twitter.com/nUCIkzOjp0
— Utah Tennis (@UtahTennis) February 13, 2021
Doubles play was competitive to start the match, but the Utes ultimately secured the point and took the advantage over Boise State. On court two, Slava Shainyan and Mathias Gavelin took the first win, 6-4, against their respective opponents in a back-and-forth battle. Closely following, Franco Capalbo and Geronimo Busleiman took the upper hand on court one in a match that was sent to a tiebreaker. The Utes' top duo took the tiebreak 7-1 to win 7-6 and clinch the point.
On court three, Bruno Krenn saw his doubles debut and teamed up with Luis Flores, who found themselves in a close match as well. The No. 3 pairing began a tiebreak set after the match was squared away at 6-6, but did not finish after the doubles point was clinched.
Utah started strong in singles play and had every court see a first-set victory. Capalbo secured the Utes' second point of the match on court one when the Broncos' Kryvchun retired from the match early in the second set.
On court two, Shainyan defeated his opponent 6-1, 6-3 and provided the Utes with match point. The contest was secured on court three, where Busleiman downed BSU's Wyatt DeMulling 6-1, 6-2. Francisco Bastias also defeated his opponent on court four, finishing fourth with score 6-4, 6-1.
The ongoing matches on courts five and six were tight throughout, but it was Gavelin and Krenn who pulled out the victory and completed the Utah sweep. On court six, Krenn closed out his close match 6-4, 7-6 (7-1) after trailing late in the second and rallying back for the win. The Utes' final point came from Mathias Gavelin on court five, who similar to Krenn, fell behind late in the second set, but pulled off a late rally and won 6-4, 7-6 (7-4).
The Utes will close out the seven-match homestand next Sunday, Feb. 21 with a pair of matches. Utah will begin the day against Denver at 12 p.m. MT, followed by a contest against Weber State at 5 p.m. MT.
UTAH 7, BSU 0
1. Franco Capalbo (UTAH) vs. Kyryll Kryvchun (BSU), 6-3, 1-2 (retir.)
2. Slava Shainyan (UTAH) def. Luka Soskic (BSU) 6-1, 6-3
3. Geronimo Busleiman (UTAH) def. Wyatt DeMulling (BSU) 6-1, 6-2
4. Francisco Bastias (UTAH) def. Lawrence Sciglitano (BSU) 6-4, 6-1
5. Mathias Gavelin (UTAH) def. Michael Bott (BSU) 6-4, 7-6 (7-4)
6. Bruno Krenn (UTAH) def. Lukas Ridemar (BSU) 6-4, 7-6 (7-1)
1. Franco Capalbo/Geronimo Busleiman (UTAH) def. Wyatt DeMulling/Lawrence Sciglitano (BSU) 7-6 (7-1)
2. Slava Shainyan/Mathias Gavelin (UTAH) def. Lukas Ridemar/Caden Moortgat (BSU) 6-4
3. Luis Flores/Bruno Krenn vs. Kyryll Kryvchun/Michael Bott (BSU) 6-6 (1-1) unf.