McKay Johnson Sets USC Indoor Shot Put Record At Texas Tech Shootout
Feb 13, 2021
McKay Johnson set the USC men's indoor shot put record, Alyssa Brewer won the women's one-mile race and the women's 4x400m relay won with a meet-record time during the final day of the Texas Tech Shootout in Lubbock, Texas today (Feb. 13).
- McKay Johnson had a big PR and set the USC indoor shot put record with a mark of 70-4.50 (21.45m) to finish second. He passed on his final two attempts and ASU's Turner Washington won the competition on his final throw with a mark of 71-8.25 (21.85m) which is a new collegiate record. Johnson ranks third on the NCAA indoor descending order list entering action today. Johnson's mark was a PR of nearly five feet and vaulted him past 2007 NCAA indoor and outdoor shot put champion Noah Bryant who held the previous USC record with a mark of 67-5.25 (20.55m).
- Brewer ran her first collegiate indoor one-mile race and won with a time of 5:00.27 which moved her to ninth on USC's all-time indoor one-mile list. Brewer won a tight race, edging two Oklahoma runners who finished second and third by 0.36 and 0.49 seconds respectively.
- The women's 4x400m relay "A" team of Bailey Lear, Jan'Taijah Ford, Kimberly Harris and Nicole Yeargin won with a time of 3:28.81. Their time set the meet and facility record, is the NCAA-leading time and ranks fourth on USC's all-time list. USC "A" won the 4x400m relay by more than seven seconds over the second-place finisher. USC's "B" team of Breanna Bernard-Joseph, Rae-Anne Serville, Jasmine Jones and Chioma Okonkwo had a time of 3:41.32 to win the third heat and finish fourth overall.
- Earnest Sears III took second in the men's high jump with a clearance of 7-3.25 (2.22m). He missed twice at 7-4.50 (2.25m) and after the leader cleared that bar, Sears III took one attempt at 7-5.75 (2.28m) and missed to finish second.
- Zach Shinnick took second in the men's 200m dash with a time of 20.70 in his first collegiate indoor 200m race. Shinnick's time moves him to sixth on USC's indoor 200m list and broke the previous meet record (20.71), but the winner (20.60) also broke the mark. Eric Allen Jr. was fifth with a time of 21.17, Brendon Stewart was ninth with a time of 21.34, Nicholas Ramey was 11th with a PR of 21.44, Daniel Robinson was 18th with a time of 21.61 and Noah Green was 23rd with a time of 21.91.
- Josh Ligas finished third in the men's 3000m race with a time of 8:48.73. It is a very sparsely run race for the Trojan men indoors and that time moves him into third on USC's all-time list.
- Jalyn Jackson took fourth in the men's triple jump with a season-best leap of 51-3.00 (15.62m).
- Morgan Smalls tied for fifth in the women's high jump with a clearance of 5-7.25 (1.71m).