Semik Breaks Spartan Hearts with Late Goal
EAST LANSING, Mich. -- It's only fitting the final minutes of Sun Devil Hockey's Valentine's Day showdown with Michigan State had its fair share of flare, as ASU thought they had won, had it taken away, then re-won the game with sophomore defenseman Jacob Semik's game-winning goal with 40 seconds remaining.
The Sun Devils (6-13-2) came out ready to go, scoring just 13 seconds into the opening period. After Chris Grando scored with five minutes remaining for the 2-1 lead, ASU ran out the clock and appeared to hold on to the 2-1 victory as the final horn sounded. However, officials reviewed a shot from Michigan State, who was completing the final two minutes of regulation on the power-play, and ruled it went in with 1:06 remaining to tie the game at two.
"It was obviously a unique experience when you think you win a game and we were walking off the bench and we were told that it went in," said head coach Greg Powers. "It was a crazy game and a crazy way to win.
"Everything these kids have gone through we deserve to win a game like that."
The Sun Devils look for their first sweep of 2021 in the final game of the Michigan State series Monday afternoon at 5 p.m. ET/3 p.m. MT.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Sun Devils came out swinging, scoring just 13 seconds into the first period. Senior Dominic Garcia found the back of the net for the first time this season after he was able to finish a rebound in front of the net to give the Sun Devils a 1-0 lead.
- The Spartans answered 37 seconds into the second period, with a redirection from Johnny Apap to tie the game at one.
- With 7:47 left in the second period, Johnny Walker appeared to score off of a head-high redirection, but after review, the goal was called off for high stick.
- A front door pass from Johnny Walker and redirect from Chris Grando with 5:12 left in the third period gave the Sun Devils the 2-1 lead.
- After time had expired, a shot from Michigan State's Mitchell Lewandowski was reviewed and ultimately called a goal. 1:06 was put back on the clock and the game was tied at two.
- Jacob Semik scored the game-winning goal after he was able to extend his stick and flip the puck past Michigan State's Drew DeRidder.
- Redshirt junior Chris Grando has goals in each of his last two games dating back to the final game against Minnesota with a two-point performance. He has two goals and three points in three games against the Spartans this season.
- Freshman netminder Cole Brady posted his second-straight, 30-plus save performance after making 36 saves on 38 shots faced. He had 31 saves last week against the U.S.-NTDP (U-18) team. It's the second-most saves in a game by an ASU goalie in a victory this season.
- Brady is now 2-2-1 on the season in his first game back from mononucleosis, and has more than 30 saves in four of those games.
- Senior forward Johnny Walker has now tied former Sun Devil Brinson Pasichnuk for the most points in program history after his two-point afternoon. He now has 107 points in his career.
- Walker has three multi-point games in the last eight games.
- Senior forward Dominic Garcia scored 13 seconds into the game for his first goal of the season. He did also have the eventual game-winning goal against the U.S.-NTDP (U-18) last week, but it is not official as it was an exhibition game.