UW Heads to WSU For Boeing Apple Cup Series on Monday
UW (3-16, 2-12 P12) at WSU (12-9, 5-9 P12)
Washington wraps up three games in five days as it heads across the state for the second meeting in the Boeing Apple Cup Series at Washington State on Monday, Feb. 15. The 5 p.m. game will be televised on the Pac-12 Networks with Greg Heister and Dan Dickau on the call. Additionally, fans can tune into KJR 950AM to hear Tony Castricone and Jason Hamilton on the official Husky Radio Broadcast. The Cougs won the first meeting this season in Seattle taking a 77-62 victory on Jan. 31.
The Coach (66-55 at UW/4th Year)
Head Coach Mike Hopkins is in his fourth year at Washington, and fourth as a head coach after becoming the 19th head coach in UW history. During his 22 years as an assistant at Syracuse, Hopkins was a part of teams that reached the NCAA Tournament 16 times including the 2003 National Championship, four Final Fours, five Elite Eights and 10 Sweet 16s along with four NIT berths. Syracuse never dipped below a 55.0 percent record while Hopkins was on staff. Hopkins is a two-time Pac-12 Coach of the Year, winning the honor in each of his first two seasons with the Huskies as he led UW to back-to-back 20 win seasons with postseason appearances each year. (2018 NIT, 2019 NCAA Second Round).
• After allowing league opponents to score an average of 82.8 points in the first 13 games of Pac-12 action, the Huskies kept the LA schools to under 70 points for an average of 66.5 points
• Sophomore Marcus Tsohonis recorded his third 20-point scoring effort of the season with 22 in just 23 minutes against UCLA ... he is the first player to score 20 or more points in three games off the bench since C.J. Wilcox had four 20-point nights from the bench in the 2011-12 season
• Tsohonis also connected on a career-high six from the 3-point line, joining Erik Stevenson as the only players to hit 6 from long distance this season .. the last time UW had two players hit at least 6 in a game from 3 was in the 2011-12 season when C.J. Wilcox and Terrence Ross both had 6 in different games that season.
• The Huskies knocked down 10 from long distance making it the eighth time in Pac-12 Play the Dawgs have hit nine or more from 3-point range
• UW has had four players score at least 26 points in a game this season in Bey (28), Tsohonis (27), Stevenson (27) and Green (26)
• Redshirt sophomore Nate Roberts is currently 11th in the league in rebounding, averaging 6.1 per game overall and is 12th in Pac-12 games pulling down 6.1 per night.
• Bey currently leads the league in 3-point FG percentage at 52.2 percent and is first in Pac-12 games in shooting 52.6 percent (20-of-38) ... 38 of his 46 3-point attempts on the season have come during league action
• Jamal Bey has found his consistency and efficiency in the second half of the season ... over the last 11 games, he's averaging 12.9 points while shooting 49.5 percent from the field, 52.6 percent from the 3-point line and 73.7 percent from FT ... he is also pulling down 4.0 rebounds per game
• Senior Quade Green recorded his seventh 20-point game of the season at Oregon with 23 points ... it was also his third 20-point night in the last five outings ... he has 10 20-point games in his 34-game UW career
• Every Husky that saw action against USC pulled down at least one rebound, making it just the third game this season that all players in the box score recorded at least one (Colorado and Utah at home being the other two games)
• Washington was nearly perfect from the charity stripe at Oregon State, with a 20-of-22 mark (90.9 percent) ... UW previously went 100 percent from the FT line this season when facing Oregon in Seattle, going 10-of-10 on Dec. 12, 2020.
• All seven of junior transfer Erik Stevenson's double-digit scoring nights this season have come in the last 10 games ... Prior to the California game, Stevenson had only made four from long distance, he has since made 22
• Green has 145 career assists at UW in just 34 games ... averaging 4.3 a game while being a Husky
• Wright currently has 126 career blocks which is sixth all-time at UW ... he is now 11 behind fifth place (137, Malik Dime) and 60 behind the UW record of 186 (Matisse Thybulle and Christian Welp)