USC Women's Volleyball Takes Down Golden Bears in 3-1 Road Win
BERKELEY, Calif. – The USC women's volleyball team (2-5, 2-5 Pac-12) defeated California (1-8, 1-8) in four sets (25-15, 25-20, 21-25, 25-13) at Haas Pavilion on Friday, Feb. 19, to end a four-match losing streak.
- Sr. OH Brooke Botkin put up a season-high 22 kills (1e, 38att) and reached a new career-high hitting percentage of .553. She logged her sixth double-double of the season (24th of her career) with 11 digs and added three service aces, and one solo block for a season-high 26 points.
- So. OPP Emilia Weske scored 10 kills (4e, 29att, .207) and had two blocks and a service ace.
- So. MB Aleksandra Gryka put up nine kills (1e, 16att) and hit a season-high .500 to go with two blocks, two assists, and had the match-clinching service ace.
- Jr. setter Raquel Lázaro dished out 39 assists and had a season-best 17 digs to record her fourth double-double this season (36th of her career) to go with five blocks (two solo), two kills, and two service aces.
- For Cal, Lydia Grote led the way with 14 kills (1e, 31att, .419) and six blocks. Isabel Potter put up 34 assists and was one dig shy of a double-double with nine. Jessica Houghton led the Bears with 12 digs.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Trojans out-hit the Bears, .333 to .176, and out-did Cal in kills (55-44), service aces (11-7), digs (50-47), and blocks (7-6).
- USC recorded 14 kills, four aces, and two blocks in the first set; and really pulled away from the Bears to end the frame with a 10-3 run for the 25-15 win. Botkin collected five kills in the first set and had her only error of the match.
- The Women of Troy led the entire second set but had to fight off a Cal comeback when the Bears closed within four after trailing by as many as nine. Botkin's sixth kill of the set closed the books on a 25-20 win for a 2-0 USC lead.
- Cal came out firing in the third and rolled to an eight-point lead at 13-5, but the Trojans stayed patient and turned another 10-3 run into a 19-17 lead. That wouldn't be enough however as the Bears pressed forward to take a 25-21 win despite eight more kills from Botkin. Cal hit .273 in the third and got six kills from Grote with three service aces.
- USC returned to an aggressive service game in the fourth set and finished with a .433 hitting rate (14k, 1e, 30att). A 4-0 run that included two service aces from Botkin gave USC an 8-4 lead, and the Trojans began to click. Cal's offense stalled as USC claimed a 25-13 win in the fourth to close the match.
- USC remains in the East Bay to take on California for a second match at Haas Pavilion on Saturday (Feb. 20) at 3 p.m. PT.
- USC improved to 63-12 all-time against California and won its 10th straight match against the Golden Bears. The Trojans also went to 27-7 all-time against the Bears in Berkeley and have now won 10 straight at Haas Pavilion since 2010.
- The Trojans picked up another win in the Bay Area to improve to 62-60 all-time in Northern California.
This season, the Pac-12 will play a 22-match Conference-only schedule as its 2020 season, which began on Friday, Jan. 22, 2021. All volleyball competitions will be conducted in accordance with the Pac-12 COVID-19 Medical Advisory Committee health and safety recommendations and guidelines available at Pac-12.com/health.
For more information on the USC women's volleyball team and a complete schedule and results, please visit USCTrojans.com/WVB. Fans of the Women of Troy can follow @USCWomensVolley on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.