Chidekh Adds Big Win But Dawgs Fall Just Short
EUGENE, Ore. – Clement Chidekh continues to show his potential as a force to be reckoned with in college tennis immediately, as the Husky sophomore improved to 7-0 with an upset of the 30th-ranked player in the nation. But Washington was left in need of one more win in singles today as Oregon pulled out the 4-3 win at the Student Tennis Center in a non-conference dual.
The Huskies (4-3) earned the doubles point to start the day and most every set in singles was competitive, but the Ducks (7-0) won more of the tight sets today to get the four singles wins to overcome the doubles point loss.
The match wound up being decided on court six, the only match to go three sets, as Jack Pulliam had come back from 3-5 down to win his first set over Luke Vandecasteele, 7-5, but then Vandescasteele extended the match with a 7-5 second set win, and he pulled away late in the third set to win, 6-3, and clinch for Oregon.
Newcomers Chidekh and Han-Chih Lin had successful first battles against the rival Ducks. Chidekh picked up the second ranked win of his season today, both coming on the road, as he took down 30th-ranked Joshua Charlton, 6-2, 6-3, at the top spot. Lin came through at No. 4 singles, 7-6, 6-3, to run his record to 6-1 on the season.
Washington played some of its best doubles to open the match, as Ewen Lumsden and Lin were quick 6-2 winners at No. 3 against Coste/Klov-Nilsson of Oregon. Then Chidekh and Thibault Cancel had a 6-4 win at No. 2 to clinch the point over Lam/Vandecasteele. Jack Davis and Alexis Alvarez were leading 4-3 at No. 1 when their match was suspended as UW had clinched.
The Huskies will have a chance to get payback during the official conference dual with Oregon in Seattle on Apr. 10. But before then it's off to Arizona next week for the Huskies for their first two Pac-12 matches at Arizona next Friday and Arizona State a week from today.
February 21, 2021
Student Tennis Center | Eugene, Ore.
Washington – 3
Oregon – 4
1. Clement Chidekh (UW) def. (#30) Joshua Charlton (UO), 6-2, 6-3
2. (#76) Emmanuel Coste (UO) def. (#65) Jack Davis (UW), 7-6 (3), 7-5
3. Quinn Vandecasteele (UO) def. Ewen Lumsden (UW), 6-4, 7-5
4. Han-Chih Lin (UW) def. Brandon Lam (UO), 7-6 (8), 6-3
5. Jesper Klov-Nilsson (UO) def. Adam Torocsik (UW), 6-2, 6-2
6. Luke Vandecasteele (UO) def. Jack Pulliam (UW), 5-7, 7-5, 6-3
Order of finish: 5, 1, 3, 4, 2, 6
1. Davis/Alvarez (UW) vs. Charlton/Q. Vandecasteele (UO), 4-3 DNF
2. Cancel/Chidekh (UW) def. Lam/L. Vandecasteele (UO), 6-4
3. Lumsden/Lin (UW) def. Coste/Klov-Nilsson (UO), 6-2
Order of finish: 3, 2