Game Notes: Ducks at Stanford
Oregon closes out the month of February in the Bay Area. The Ducks will play Stanford Thursday at 6 p.m. at Maples Pavilion (ESPN2/U) before taking on California Saturday in Berkeley.
THE STARTING 5
• 1 – Under coach Dana Altman, Oregon has the best record in the conference during the second half of Pac-12 play. Over the last 11 seasons, the Ducks have won more than 70 percent of their games (66-28) on the back half of the schedule.
• 2 – Last Saturday against Utah, Oregon secured its 11th consecutive winning season, a program first. The win also assured Dana Altman of his 24th consecutive winning season as a head coach; an active streak shared by only by Altman and four Hall of Famers: Jim Boeheim, Mike Krzyzewski, Bill Self and Tom Izzo.
• 3 – On Tuesday, Chris Duarte was named one of five finalists for the Jerry West Point Guard of the Year Award. He is one of just two players in the nation averaging at least 16.0 points and 2.0 steals per game while shooting 50 percent from the field.
• 4 – Eugene Omoruyi has scored in double figures in 17-of-19 games this season. He is sixth in the Pac-12 in scoring at 16.8 points per game.
• 5 – Oregon's top five scorers – Chris Duarte, Eugene Omoruyi, Will Richardson, LJ Figueroa and Eric Williams Jr. – have all played in the same game just three times this season, Feb. 11 at Arizona State, Feb. 20 against Utah and Monday at USC.
• BENCH – Under Dana Altman, Oregon has won nearly 90 percent of its games (187-21) when holding opponents below 70 points.
• BENCH – With Eugene Omoruyi scoring his 1,000th point as a collegian Feb. 13 at Arizona, Oregon is now just one of two schools nationally with four 1,000-point scorers on the roster. Ole Miss is the other.
DUARTE NAMED A JERRY WEST AWARD FINALIST
Senior guard Chris Duarte was named one of five finalists for the Jerry West Shooting Guard of the Year Award on Tuesday by the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame. He is the first Jerry West Award finalist in program history. Duarte, from Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic, is one of only two players in the nation averaging 16 points and two steals per game while shooting 50 percent from the field. He leads the Pac-12 in steals (2.1 per game) and three-pointers made (2.5 per game). In addition to leading the league in steals and three-pointers, Duarte is ranked among the Pac-12's top 10 in six different statistical categories. He is seventh in scoring (16.8 points per game), fifth in three-point field goal percentage (.420) and ninth in field goal percentage (.530). The other Jerry West Award finalists are Joel Ayayi of Gonzaga, Quentin Grimes of Houston, MaCio Teague of Baylor and Joe Wieskamp of Iowa.
SECOND HALF SURGE
Under coach Dana Altman, Oregon has the best second half record in the Pac-12. Since the 2010-11 season, Oregon is 66-28 (.702) during the second half of Pac-12 play. That breaks down to 4-5 in 2011, 7-2 in 2012, 5-4 in 2013, 7-2 in 2014, 8-1 in 2015, 7-2 in 2016, 8-1 in 2017, 5-4 in 2018, 6-3 in 2019, 6-3 in 2020 and 3-1 in 2021. The last seven years, Oregon is 35-8 after Valentine's Day in Pac-12 Conference games.
OREGON SETS SCHOOL MARK WITH 11TH STRAIGHT WINNING SEASON
The Ducks' win against Utah last Saturday guaranteed Oregon its 11th consecutive winning season, a program first. The previous best was 10 winning seasons in a row over the decade between 1923-32, under coaches William Reinhart and George Bohler. Oregon now has 273 wins over the last 11 seasons, two shy of the school record (275) over that span.
ALTMAN RECORDS 24TH CONSECUTIVE WINNING SEASON
Dana Altman now has 24 consecutive winning seasons as a head coach. He is currently one of five active head coaches in NCAA Division I who have posted a winning record for 24 consecutive seasons (the other four are in the Hall of Fame). For Altman, that streak runs from the 1997-98 season through 2020-21, and covers his final 13 seasons at Creighton and his first 11 in Eugene.
Active 24-plus Consecutive Winning Seasons as a Head Coach
1. 44 *Jim Boeheim - Syracuse, 1976-77 – 2019-20
2. 37 *Mike Krzyzewski - Duke, 1983-84 – 2019-20+
3. 26 *Bill Self - Oral Roberts, Tulsa, Illinois, Kansas, 1995-96 – 2020-21
4. 24 *Tom Izzo - Michigan State, 1996-97 – 2019-20
5. 24 Dana Altman - Creighton, Oregon, 1997-98 – 2020-21
* member of the Hall of Fame
+ During the '94-95 season, Krzyzewski coached the team to a 9-3 record before taking a leave of absence to recover from back surgery.
FOUR 1,000 POINT SCORERS ON THE ROSTER
Feb. 13 at Arizona, Eugene Omoruyi became the fourth current Duck to have scored 1,000 points in college. Two other teammates reached that milestone this year - Eric Williams Jr. Dec. 31 against California and LJ Figueroa Dec. 19 versus Portland. Amauri Hardy came into the year with 1,000 points scored while playing for UNLV. Oregon and Ole Miss are the only two programs in the country with four active 1,000-point scorers.