Cal Opens 2021 Season Friday
BERKELEY – The ninth-ranked California beach volleyball team will begin their 2021 campaign on Friday morning as they host Oregon at the Clark Kerr Sand Courts at 9 a.m. The Bears will also take on UC Davis on Saturday at 1 p.m.
There will be no fans allowed on school property for any home beach volleyball contests this year.
CAL HOSTS OREGON AND UC DAVIS THIS WEEKEND
- Cal will open the 2021 season on Friday at 9 a.m. at the Clark Kerr Sand Courts.
- It will be the first time in 355 days that Cal will play after the 2020 season was canceled following the Bears' upset win over. No. 5 USC.
- Cal will carry a nine-match winning streak into the 2021 season. That is the second-longest winning streak in school history, topped only by the school's 11-match winning from Feb. 24-March 17, 2018.
- Cal has won 18 straight matches at home, dating back to April 7, 2017.
- The Bears will host Oregon and UC Davis this weekend.
- All-time, Cal is 9-0 against Oregon and UC Davis, having beat Oregon in all six of their matchups including a 5-0 sweep on March 7 of 2020 at the Pac-12 South Tournament. Cal is also 3-0 in school history against UC Davis. The Bears have defeated the Aggies 5-0 in all three matchups including, during the season-opening weekend last year.
BEARS OPEN 2021 RANKED NINTH
- Cal opens the 2021 season where they ended 2020, ranked ninth in the AVCA Coaches Poll.
- This is the third straight year that Cal has been selected amongst the top 12 in the nation to start the year.
- This is the top preseason ranking in school history and tied for the highest that Cal has been ranked at any point of the year, with their season-ending placement on last year's coaches' poll.
- The Bears were ranked No. 12 prior to the 2019 season and 11th heading into the 2020 campaign.
- Cal returns six of the 10 players that were in the 2020 lineup for all 10 matches, including three of the four members of the Bears' top two pairs: Mima Mirkovic, Caroline Schafer and Jordan Polo.
- Mirkovic was named an honorable mention All-America in 2019, while Polo was named Pac-12 Freshman of the Year.
- The Bears are also led by four seniors who have a combined 283 matches of experience: Mirkovic (69), Schafer (71), Alexia Inman (73) and Maddie Micheletti (70).
NUMBERS TO KNOW
- Cal's senior class has won 55 games over their career, 21 games from matching the most by any four-year class in school history.
- Cal has recorded 10 wins over ranked teams over the past two seasons, two in 2020 and eight in 2019.
- Cal will play a challenging schedule with at least 14 opponents that are ranked in the 2021 AVCA Preseason Poll.