No. 15 USC Lacrosse Defeated by No. 13 Boston College
NEWTON, Mass. – The 15th-ranked USC lacrosse team (1-2) lost to No. 13 Boston College (2-0) by a 14-8 count on the Newton Campus Field on Friday, Feb. 26. The Women of Troy fell behind by a 4-0 deficit early and drew within two goals of the Eagles, but BC fought off the Trojan comeback to seal the win.
- Gr. attacker Maddie McDaniel had seven draw controls and finished with three points on one goal and two assists.
- Sr. goalie Riley Hertford had eight saves with three caused turnovers and four ground balls.
- So. attacker Ella Heaney scored two goals and picked up one ground ball.
- Sr. midfielder Kelsey Huff had a goal and an assist to go with two draw controls and two ground balls.
- For the Eagles, Charlotte North had five points (4g, 1a) and Cara Urbank recorded five points (3g, 2a). Urbank finished with four draw controls and North had two. In goal, Rachel Hall delivered seven saves and had two ground balls.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- USC won the first five draws, but Boston College jumped out to a quick 4-0 lead in just nine minutes behind strong defensive play. The Trojans got on the scoreboard with a goal from McDaniel and went on a 3-0 run to draw within two of the Eagles at 6-4, but North scored one more to make the halftime score 7-4 for BC.
- The teams traded goals to open the second half, but Boston College went on top by five for the second time at 11-6 with under 12 minutes left in regulation.
- The Trojans scored the next two goals quickly to get within three at 11-8 (4:15), but BC scored three more times to ensure the victory including one on an empty goal and one with 25 seconds to play.
- USC hosts its first home game at McAlister Field on Sunday, March 7, when UC Davis visits for a 3 p.m. first draw.
- USC fell to 1-6 in seven all-time meetings with Boston College, including an 0-4 mark as the visiting team.
- The Trojans fell to 14-17 all-time in games played in the Eastern Time Zone and to 1-6 in the state of Massachusetts.
- USC dropped to 23-32 against IWLCA ranked opponents.
All USC women's lacrosse competitions will be conducted in accordance with the Pac-12 COVID-19 Medical Advisory Committee health and safety recommendations and guidelines, available at Pac-12.com/health. For more information on the USC women's lacrosse team, a complete schedule, and results, please visit USCTrojans.com. Fans of the Women of Troy can follow the team on Instagram and on Twitter @USCTrojansLax.