No. 9 USC Men's Tennis Tops No. 5 TCU 4-0 For Some Revenge At Marks Stadium
LOS ANGELES — The No. 9 USC men's tennis team found vengeance on home turf today in taking down No. 5 TCU 4-0 at Marks Stadium. The solid win avenges a 4-3 loss taken to the Horned Frogs at the ITA National Team Indoor Championship event not two weeks ago. This time, the Trojans made sure to seal the deal, following up the doubles point with two straight-set singles wins before Daniel Cukierman came through with a three-set clincher from court one. USC is now 9-3 overall with today's win.
Once again, USC drilled down on the doubles point thanks to wins on courts one and two. At the top spot, #1 Cukierman and Riley Smith plugged up a 6-2 win over TCU's Fomba/Gray, and then Stefan Dostanic and Bradley Frye kept up their winning ways with a 6-4 decision over Fearnley/Kruger to propel the Trojans to a 1-0 lead and on to singles play.
USC would snag the first sets on five courts, although all but two would wind up in tighter tangles. Opting in for smoother sailing were USC's Lodewijk Weststrate and Riley Smith. Weststrate churned out a solid 6-4, 6-1 win over TCU's Tadeas Paroulek on court five to make it a quick 2-0 USC lead. On court two, #19 Smith chalked up a 3-0 lead on his 6-3, 7-6 (3) win over #21 Alastair Gray. As the remaining matches were largely still in the balance, USC's #1 Cukierman set his course in his third set against #47 Luc Fomba, righting the ship and rattling off a 6-1, 3-6, 6-3 clincher to notch the victory for the Trojans and suspend action on the remaining courts.
Next up for the Trojans is another rematch, as USC looks to pin up a second win over crosstown rival UCLA. The Trojans head to the Bruins' Los Angeles Tennis Center for a 1 p.m. nonconfernce bout on Sunday (Feb. 28).
#9 USC 4, #5 TCU 0
Feb. 26, 2021 | Marks Stadium (Los Angeles, Calif.)
(1) #1 Cukierman/R. Smith (USC) def. Fomba/Gray (TCU) - 6-2
(2) Dostanic/Frye (USC) def. Fearnley/Kruger (TCU) - 6-4
(3) Bulis/Holt (USC) vs. #24 Jong/Paroulek (TCU) - 5-2 susp.
Order of finish: 1, 2
USC wins doubles point.
(1) #1 Daniel Cukierman (USC) def. #47 Luc Fomba (TCU) - 6-1, 3-6, 6-3*
(2) #19 Riley Smith (USC) def. #21 Alastair Gray (TCU) - 6-3, 7-6 (3)
(3) #26 Mor Bulis (USC) vs. #113 Sander Jong (TCU) - 7-5, 6-6 susp.
(4) Bradley Frye (USC) vs. Tomas Jirousek (TCU) 6-2, 3-6, 4-5 susp.
(5) Lodewijk Weststrate (USC) def. Tadeas Paroulek (TCU) - 6-4, 6-1
(6) Jake Sands (USC) vs. Juan Martin (TCU) - 6-7 (3), 4-4 susp.
Order of finish: 5, 2, 1*