Successful Start for Women’s Tennis
STANFORD, Calif. – Serving to an opponent for the first time in 356 days, Stanford women's tennis rolled to a 7-0 victory over Santa Clara on Friday, Feb. 26 in its season opener.
The Cardinal jumped out to an early lead with the doubles point. The tandem of Sara Choy and Janice Shin earned a shutout victory, while Michaela Gordon and Niluka Madurawe were close behind with a 6-3 victory to clinch the point. The freshmen pair of Ana Geller and India Houghton made it 3-for-3 in doubles with a 6-3 win of their own.
Five players earned straight set singles wins, with four players posting a set of 6-0. Geller and Gordon posted the first wins in singles play, while Houghton earned the clinching point in her Stanford debut.
Higuchi, Shin and Choy finished with wins to close the afternoon.
Stanford is back in action on Tuesday, March 2 at 2 p.m. against UC Davis.
1) Gordon/Niluka Madurawe (STAN) d. Kalinic/Petty (SC), 6-3
2) Choy/Shin (STAN) d. Gordon/Hayer (SC), 6-0
3) Geller/Hougton (STAN) d. Schroer/Varya Zlotnik (SC), 6-3
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3
1) No. 10 Michaela Gordon (STAN) d. JennaMarie Gordon (SC), 6-1, 6-0
2) Emma Higuchi (STAN) d. Jamie Schroer (SC), 6-0, 6-2
3) Ana Geller (STAN) d. Katherine Petty (SC), 6-1, 6-2
4) Sara Choy (STAN) vs. Finley Kalinic (SC), 6-3, 2-6, 1-0 (10-6)
5) No. 114 Janice Shin (STAN) d. Giulia Hayer (SC), 6-0, 6-3
6) India Houghton (STAN) d. Lindsey Pesqueira (SC), 6-0, 6-1
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 6, 2, 5, 4