Game Notes: Big Week Begins with Arizona
Oregon hosts Arizona on Monday at 6 p.m. (ESPN2) to make-up a game that was originally scheduled for Jan. 16
• 1 – Oregon seniors Chris Duarte, LJ Figueroa and Eugene Omoruyi combined for 58 points with 20 rebounds in Saturday's win at Cal. Including the Ducks' fourth senior, Amauri Hardy, that class is averaging just under 50 points per game (49.9).
• 2 – Nine of the last 11 games between the Ducks and Wildcats have been decided by seven points or less and four of those games have gone to overtime. Oregon holds a 9-2 series edge in the last 11 meetings.
• 3 – Under coach Dana Altman, Oregon has the best record in the conference during the second half of Pac-12 play. Over the last 11 seasons, the Ducks have won more than 70 percent of their games (68-28) on the back half of the schedule.
• 4 – 2020-21 is Oregon's 11th consecutive winning season, a program first. Dana Altman also extended his streak of winning seasons as a head coach to 24; an active streak shared by only by Altman and four Hall of Famers: Jim Boeheim, Mike Krzyzewski, Bill Self and Tom Izzo.
• 5 – Last week, Chris Duarte was named one of five finalists for the Jerry West Point Guard of the Year Award. He is one of only two Division I players in the country averaging at least 17.0 points and 2.0 steals per game while shooting 50 percent from the field.
• BENCH – Eugene Omoruyi has scored in double figures in 19-of-21 games this season. He is sixth in the Pac-12 in scoring at 16.6 points per game.
• BENCH – Chris Duarte scored 19 of his 24 points in the final 10 minutes in Thursday night's win at Stanford.
HOME COURT ADVANTAGE
The Ducks are 163-22 (.881) all-time at Matthew Knight Arena since the building opened in 2011.
PAC-12 AT MKA
The Ducks are 77-18 (.811) in Pac-12 games at Matthew Knight Arena. Arizona State is 0-7, USC, Washington and Washington State are 1-8, Colorado and Utah are 1-7, Arizona is 1-6, Stanford is 2-7, Oregon State is 3-8, UCLA is 3-6 and California is 4-5.
HEY MAN, NICE SHOT
Saturday at California marked the 800th consecutive game that Oregon has hit at least one three-point shot. The Ducks' last game without a three-pointer was Feb. 6, 1997, versus Washington. Oregon last held an opponent without a three-pointer on Jan. 6, 2016 when Cal went 0-for-12.
SENIORS SPARK BAY AREA SWEEP
Seniors Chris Duarte, LJ Figueroa and Eugene Omoruyi scored 47 of Oregon's 71 points in Thursday's win against Stanford. Duarte had 24 - 19 in the final 10 minutes - while Figueroa added 13 and Omoruyi scored 12 points with 10 rebounds. Saturday at Cal, that trio combined for 58 points and 20 rebounds. Figueroa has 20 points and a career-high 14 rebounds. Omoruyi scored 21 points while Duarte had 17.
DUARTE NAMED A JERRY WEST AWARD FINALIST
Senior guard Chris Duarte was named one of five finalists for the Jerry West Shooting Guard of the Year Award by the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame. He is the first Jerry West Award finalist in program history. Duarte, from Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic, is one of only two Division I players in the nation averaging 17 points and two steals per game while shooting 50 percent from the field. Peter Kiss of Bryant is the other. He leads the Pac-12 in steals (2.0 per game) and three-pointers made (2.5 per game). In addition to leading the league in steals and three-pointers, Duarte is ranked among the Pac-12's top 10 in six different statistical categories. He is fifth in scoring (17.2 points per game), fourth in three-point field goal percentage (.425) and 10th in field goal percentage (.529). The other Jerry West Award finalists are Joel Ayayi of Gonzaga, Quentin Grimes of Houston, MaCio Teague of Baylor and Joe Wieskamp of Iowa.
SECOND HALF SURGE
Under coach Dana Altman, Oregon has the best second half record in the Pac-12. Since the 2010-11 season, Oregon is 68-28 (.708) during the second half of Pac-12 play. That breaks down to 4-5 in 2011, 7-2 in 2012, 5-4 in 2013, 7-2 in 2014, 8-1 in 2015, 7-2 in 2016, 8-1 in 2017, 5-4 in 2018, 6-3 in 2019, 6-3 in 2020 and 5-1 in 2021. The last seven years, Oregon is 36-8 after Valentine's Day in Pac-12 Conference games.
OREGON SETS SCHOOL MARK WITH 11TH STRAIGHT WINNING SEASON
The Ducks' win against Utah last Saturday guaranteed Oregon its 11th consecutive winning season, a program first. The previous best was 10 winning seasons in a row over the decade between 1923-32, under coaches William Reinhart and George Bohler. Oregon now has 273 wins over the last 11 seasons, two shy of the school record (275) over that span.
Oregon leads the Pac-12 in steals per game (7.7) and has clamped down on the defensive end in the last couple of weeks. The Ducks recently held three straight opponents to below 40 percent shooting from the field. Arizona State shot 33.3 percent (Feb. 11), Arizona was at 38.6 percent (Feb 13) and Colorado came in at 33.4 percent (Feb.18). Overall the Ducks have held six opponent below 40 percent this season.
ALTMAN RECORDS 24TH CONSECUTIVE WINNING SEASON
Dana Altman now has 24 consecutive winning seasons as a head coach. He is currently one of five active head coaches in NCAA Division I who have posted a winning record for 24 consecutive seasons (the other four are in the Hall of Fame). For Altman, that streak runs from the 1997-98 season through 2020-21, and covers his final 13 seasons at Creighton and his first 11 in Eugene.
Active 24-plus Consecutive Winning Seasons as a Head Coach
1. 44 *Jim Boeheim - Syracuse, 1976-77 – 2019-20
2. 37 *Mike Krzyzewski - Duke, 1983-84 – 2019-20+
3. 26 *Bill Self - Oral Roberts, Tulsa, Illinois, Kansas, 1995-96 – 2020-21
4. 24 *Tom Izzo - Michigan State, 1996-97 – 2019-20
5. 24 Dana Altman - Creighton, Oregon, 1997-98 – 2020-21
* member of the Hall of Fame
+ During the '94-95 season, Krzyzewski coached the team to a 9-3 record before taking a leave of absence to recover from back surgery.
FOUR 1,000 POINT SCORERS ON THE ROSTER
Feb. 13 at Arizona, Eugene Omoruyi became the fourth current Duck to have scored 1,000 points in college. Two other teammates reached that milestone this year - Eric Williams Jr. Dec. 31 against California and LJ Figueroa Dec. 19 versus Portland. Amauri Hardy came into the year with 1,000 points scored while playing for UNLV. Oregon and Ole Miss are the only two programs in the country with four active 1,000-point scorers.