Softball Defeats UNM In Style with Two Homers from Torres
TEMPE, Ariz. -- Home Run U? Alynah Torres said bet. In a commanding offensive showing against New Mexico, the sophomore shortstop hit two home runs, the first time a Sun Devil has accomplished the feat this season. Torres' big bat came in handy as Sun Devil Softball completed an 11-3 victory over UNM for its fifth run-rule victory this year on Sunday morning at Alberta. B. Farrington Softball Stadium.
In case two homers in one game isn't enough, Torres is on a home run-hitting streak, going yard in each of the last four consecutive games.
Senior Denae Chatman hit the solo walkoff at the bottom of the sixth to put the run rule victory in the bag for the Sun Devils. It's her third over the fence hit this season.
Sophomore Lindsay Lopez came in as relief in the second inning and completed the game with 4.1 innings pitched and four strikeouts. Lopez now leads the pitching staff with her 1.57 ERA and 4-0 record.
The Sun Devils (10-1) boast a high-scoring history against the Lobos (1-10), out-scoring UNM 51-4 in the last five meetings. In the last three matchups, ASU scored double-digits against UNM while holding them to less than three runs in each outing.
UP NEXT: ASU hosts another tournament this weekend and into Monday as Pac-12 foes, UCLA, Oregon, and Utah head to Farrington for the Pac-12 Invitational. The Sun Devils play one game against Utah on Monday night at 5 p.m. MT. All games, including non-ASU games, are available for free on the Pac-12/ASU Live Stream.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- In the first inning, Maddi Hackbarth hit a double to deep right center field that brought home Jazmine Hill who stood on third base
- Alynah Torres wasted no time and went yard for the fourth time this year in the very next at-bat, bringing in Hackbarth to put the Sun Devils up 3-0
- In the top of the second inning, Yanni Acuna left the game due to injury and was replaced by Makenna Harper at left field
- With the game tied 3-3 in the fourth, a single from Macy Simmons breathed life into the Sun Devil offense and placed Harper, who reached second on an error, in scoring position.
- Brittany Holland hit an RBI single followed by an error by the third baseman that saw Halle Harger load the bases with Kindra Hackbarth at-bat. Hackbarth hit an RBI single to bring pinch runner Savannah Price home for an unearned run. Jazmine Hill reached on a fielder's choice that put K. Hackbarth out at second but pushed Harger to third and Holland home for ASU's sixth run of the game.
- The Sun Devils scored their fourth run of the inning on a quick steal of home plate by Halle Harger.
- Lindsay Lopez threw a quick three in-and-out to bring the Sun Devils back to the plate again and the onslaught of ASU offense began again.
- Torres hit her second home run of the game - a leadoff dinger to right field that brought the score to 8-3.
- The Lobos walked both Denae Chatman and Macy Simmons and an RBI single to deep center field brought Chatman around the horn for ASU's 10th run
- With two outs in the sixth, Chatman took ending the game early into her own hands and hit a solo bomb to centerfield to secure the run-rule victory over UNM.
FACTS TO KNOW
- Torres put her big bat effort in drive against UNM, going yard twice in the same game - the first time a Sun Devil has done so this season. She now leads the team in home runs with five on the season.
- Torres has hit a home run in four consecutive games
- The Sun Devils extend their home run streak - hitting at least one in each game of 2021