Utah Tennis Falls To Texas Tech
LUBBOCK, Texas – The Utah men's tennis team fell to the Texas Tech Red Raiders on Sunday afternoon 7-0 to close out the two-match road swing. The Utes moved to 8-4 on the season before returning home for a pair of matches.
Texas Tech quickly picked up a doubles win on court one over Geronimo Busleiman and Francisco Bastias, before the Red Raiders were able to overcome Mathias Gavelin and Slava Shainyan 6-4 on court two to clinch the doubles point. Luis Flores and Bruno Krenn were leading 4-3 over on court three when the match was ended.
Texas Tech jumped out to an early advantage after picking up first-set victories on all courts to begin the day. Shainyan went toe-to-toe with the nation's No. 37-ranked singles player Parker Wynn, but fell 6-4 in the first, as did Busleiman against the nation's No. 93-ranked player Ilgiz Valiev where he fell 6-4 in the first. Mathias Gavelin also battled a ranked opponent in Reed Collier, who ranks No. 115 currently, and ultimately fell 6-4, 6-4 in a competitive match.
Texas Tech picked up its second point on court six after freshman Chris Heck fell to his opponent, and was followed by a loss on court three from Bastias 6-2, 6-1. The match clinching point came from a win on court five over Bruno Krenn, but the Red Raiders continued to dominate singles and win on the remaining courts to complete the 7-0 win.
Utah will be back in action next weekend against Utah State and Montana on Saturday, March 6 at the George S. Eccles Tennis Center.
Texas Tech 7, Utah 0
1. #37 Parker Wynn (TTU) def. Slava Shainyan (UU) 6-4, 6-2
2. #93 Ilgiz Valiev (TTU) def. Geronimo Busleiman (UU) 6-4, 6-3
3. Franco Ribero (TTU) def. Francisco Bastias (UU) 6-2, 6-1
4. #115 Reed Collier (TTU) def. Mathias Gavelin (UU) 6-4, 6-4
5. Dimitrios Azoidis (TTU) def. Bruno Krenn (UU) 6-3, 6-3
6. Isaac Arevalo (TTU) def. Chris Heck (UU) 6-0, 6-0
1. Parker Wynn/Franco Ribero (TTU) def. Geronimo Busleiman/Francisco Bastias (UU) 6-2
2. Isaac Arevalo/Reed Collier (TTU) def. Mathias Gavelin/Slava Shainyan (UU) 6-4
3. Dimitrios Azoidis/Ilgiz Valiev (TTU) vs. Luis Flores/Bruno Krenn (UU) 3-4, unfinished