#21 ASU Breezes Through #50 Tulsa, Earns 9th Consecutive Victory
TULSA, Okla. - Nine straight.
The No. 21 Sun Devils haven't lost a match in nine outings and took down their third ranked opponent Wednesday afternoon with a 4-3 road victory over No. 50 Tulsa in Tulsa, Oklahoma. The victory featured Nathan Ponwith taking No. 1 singles over No. 67 Kody Pearson, and a singles-point rally from ASU. Christian Lerby earned his sixth-consecutive singles win, and Makey Rakotomalala earned his fifth.
Arizona State earned its first victory over a ranked opponent almost a month ago (Feb. 5) when the Maroon and Golden topped No. 22 Pepperdine 6-1 in Tempe.
The day started out shaky for the Sun Devils due to Tulsa winning the doubles point. Ponwith and George Stoupe fell 6-2 at the top spot, and Andrea Bolla/Lerby followed at No. 3 to put ASU behind 1-0.
Singles was a completely different story for the Sun Devils who went up 2-1 thanks to a 7-6, 6-3 victory at No. 6 from Lerby and a 7-5, 6-3 win at No. 3 from Rakotomalala. Bolla fell at No. 4, but Ponwith and Tim Ruehl won at No. 1 and 2 to clinch the day for ASU.
ASU continued its road swing Friday at 3 p.m. MST when the team takes on No. 28 Oklahoma in Norman. Live stats for that match will be here.
Mar 03, 2021
#21 Arizona State 4, #50 Tulsa Men's Tennis 3
1. Nathan Ponwith (ASU) def. #67 Kody Pearson (TULSA_M) 3-6, 6-2, 6-1
2. Tim Ruehl (ASU) def. Connor Di Marco (TULSA_M) 7-5, 6-3
3. Makey Rakotomalala (ASU) def. Ezequiel Santalla (TULSA_M) 7-5, 6-3
4. Stefan Hampe (TULSA_M) def. Andrea Bolla (ASU) 6-4, 7-6 (7-2)
5. Juan-Pablo Cenoz (TULSA_M) def. George Stoupe (ASU) 4-6, 6-3, 6-2
6. Christian Lerby (ASU) def. Boriss Kamdem (TULSA_M) 7-6 (7-4), 6-3
1. Connor Di Marco/Kody Pearson (TULSA_M) def. Nathan Ponwith/George Stoupe (ASU) 6-2
2. Makey Rakotomalala/Tim Ruehl (ASU) vs. Stefan Hampe/Boriss Kamdem (TULSA_M) no result
3. Ezequiel Santalla/Daniel Siddall (TULSA_M) def. Andrea Bolla/Christian Lerby (ASU) 6-3
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (6,3,4,1,2,5)