#24 ASU Opens Pac-12 Play By Shutting Out Oregon
TEMPE - No. 24 Arizona State (7-3, 1-0 Pac-12) opened the Pac-12 portion of its schedule Friday afternoon with a 4-0 shutout over Oregon (6-2, 0-1 Pac-12) in Tempe. ASU has now won four-consecutive matches against the Ducks. The Maroon and Gold never trailed in singles and dropped just one doubles match today. Sammi Hampton and Marianna Argyrokastriti have now won eight-straight matches together, and Argyrokastriti also holds a team-best 7-2 singles record.
Duck hunt champions ?? pic.twitter.com/FcW69oDwga
— Arizona State Women's Tennis (@sundevilwtennis) March 5, 2021
"Certainly this was a good way to start the conference season," head coach Sheila McInerney said. "Oregon always does a good job and competes really hard and is a really spunky vocal group. I think we did a great job in squeaking out the doubles point and I think we also did a great job in singles too. We came out ans took control and won fairly handedly. Once the kids got that lead they kept their foot on the gas pedal and finished. Everyone played really well and now we have a weekend off before we go on two tough road trips at Washington State and Washington."
The match started with Hampton/Argyrokastriti handedly taking their doubles match at No. 3. The pair came out highly energized and laid into Julia Eshet/Allison Mulville to win 6-2. Giulia Morlet and DOmenika Turkovic then lost, 6-4, at No. 2 to set up a tie-break at No. 1 with No. 50 pairing Lauryn John-Baptiste/Ilze Hattingh, the tandem walking away with a 7-6 (7-1) victory.
Singles was all ASU start to finish. Turkovic was first-off with a 6-1, 6-1 sweep on court five, followed by Cali Jankwoski winning 6-2, 6-2 at No. 6 in her third match of the season. Argyrokastriti clinched the day for the Maroon and Gold at No. 4 with a 6-2, 6-1 victory.
The Sun Devils head up north to the state of Washington to play Washington State and Washington next weekend. Match one against the Cougars kicks off next Friday at 2:30 p.m. MST.
Mar 05, 2021 at Tempe, AZ
(Whiteman tennis Center)
#24 Arizona State 4, Oregon 0
1. Hattingh,Ilze (ASU) vs. Tjen, Janice (ORE) 6-1, 5-2, unfinished
2. John-Baptiste,Lauryn (ASU) vs. Mould, Lillian (ORE) 6-4, 5-2, unfinished
3. Morlet,Giulia (ASU) vs. Kahfiani, Rifanty (ORE) 6-4, 2-2, unfinished
4. Argyrokastriti,M (ASU) def. Martinez Moral, Uxia (ORE) 6-2, 6-1
5. Turkovic,Domenika (ASU) def. Mulville, Allison (ORE) 6-1, 6-1
6. Jankowski,Cali (ASU) def. Eshet, Julia (ORE) 6-2, 6-1
1. John-Baptiste,Lauryn/Hattingh,Ilze (ASU) def. Kahfiani, Rifanty/Martinez Moral, Uxia (ORE) 7-6
2. Mould, Lillian/Tjen, Janice (ORE) def. Turkovic,Domenika/Morlet,Giulia (ASU) 6-4
3. Hampton,Sammi/Argyrokastriti,M (ASU) def. Eshet, Julia/Mulville, Allison (ORE) 6-2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (5,6,4)