Ducks Post 7-0 Win in Weekend Opener
EUGENE, Ore. – The Oregon men's tennis team opened its five-match home stand Friday afternoon with a 7-0 win over Cal Poly. The result is the Ducks' fourth 7-0 sweep of the season. Oregon improves to 9-2 this season and remains unbeaten at home.
How it Happened: Oregon took the early advantage with wins at No. 1 and 2 singles to secure the first point of the match. With a win at the top spot in hand, Brandon Lam and Luke Vandecasteele clinched the doubles point. Lam served out the 6-3 win with an ace up the middle. Oregon has won the doubles point in eight of 11 matches this season.
The home team carried the momentum into singles play with quick wins from Quinn Vandecasteele and Brandon Lam. Vandecasteele posted a 6-0, 6-2 win at No. 3 singles and within seconds Lam wrapped up a 6-3, 6-0 victory in the fifth spot in the lineup to give the Ducks a 3-0 match lead.
Joshua Charlton clinched the team victory with a straight-set triumph at No. 1 singles. The 30th-ranked player in the nation recorded this fourth-consecutive win and improved to 9-2 this season. Charlton beat Alex Stater (6-2, 6-1) in the top spot.
After wins from Emmanuel Coste at No. 2 and Jesper Klöv-Nilsson at No. 4, the Ducks led 6-0 with one match still on court. Luke Vandecasteele won the opening set but dropped the second, sending the No. 6 matchup to a 10-point tiebreaker. The UO sophomore rattled off the final six points of the set to post the 6-3, 3-6, 1-0(5) victory.
Up Next: Oregon and Cal Poly play for a second time Sunday afternoon with first serve scheduled for 12 p.m. (PT). Including Friday's match, the Ducks play their next five matches at home including a March 21 conference date against Utah.
Oregon 7, Cal Poly 0
1. Charlton/Q. Vandecasteele (ORE) d. Shenkiryk/Leather (CP) – 6-4
2. Lam/L. Vandecasteele (ORE) d. Berry/Noel (CP) – 6-3
3. Coste/Klöv-Nilsson (ORE) vs Vardanyan/Stater (CP) – 5-4 [unfinished]
Order of Finish: 1, 2
1. No. 30 Joshua Charlton (ORE) d. Alex Stater (CP) – 6-2, 6-1
2. No. 76 Emmanuel Coste (ORE) d. Antoine Neal (CP) – 6-1, 6-2
3. Quinn Vandecasteele (ORE) d. Noah Berry (CP) – 6-0, 6-2
4. Jesper Klöv-Nilsson (ORE) d. Joe Leather (CP) – 6-2, 6-3
5. Brandon Lam (ORE) d. Gary Vardanyan (CP) – 6-3, 6-0
6. Luke Vandecasteele (ORE) d. Fernando Fonseca (CP) – 6-3, 3-6, 1-0(5)
Order of Finish: 3, 5, 1*, 2, 4, 6
* - clincher
For more news and information about the Ducks, follow @OregonMTennis on Instagram and Twitter, and @OregonMensTennis on Facebook.