Ute Women's Tennis Falls To No. 28 Stanford
SALT LAKE CITY – Utah women's tennis (6-3, 0-1 Pac-12) dropped its Pac-12 season opener to No. 28-ranked Stanford on Friday afternoon, falling 7-0 to the Cardinal (3-0, 1-0 Pac-12) at the George S. Eccles Tennis Center.
Stanford's No. 2 duo pushed past Lindsay Hung and Anastasia Goncharova 6-1 to start doubles play, but the remaining two courts battled it out for the doubles point. Madeline Lamoreaux and Emily Dush built a slight lead on court one and held a 5-4 lead. With the current game tied at deuce, Stanford held on for the game to tie the match 5-5 and ultimately won the next two games to clinch the doubles point.
Meanwhile, Anya Lamoreaux and Jasmine Rich found themselves in a similar situation where the pair of Utes led late, but went on to have the match tied 6-6 and head to a tiebreaker. Lamoreaux and Rich pushed the lead to 4-2 in the tiebreaker, but the Cardinal rallied back to take the win.
Stanford picked up the next two points with 6-0, 6-1 wins on courts two and four over M. Lamoreaux and Goncharova, respectively. The Cardinal clinched the match from a defeat on court one where No. 10-ranked Michaela Gordon bested Lindsay Hung 6-1, 6-1. Shortly after, Olivia Mikkelson fell in her match on court six by the same score.
Dush and A. Lamoreaux continued to fight as play continued on. Lamoreaux fell 6-2 in her first set and although trailing just 2-3 in the second, Stanford's No. 114-ranked Shin rattled off three of the next four to take the set 6-3 despite close games throughout.
The last match standing was Dush on court three where she took a 7-6 (3) win in the first set after leading early and fending off a late rally. Dush traded games again in the second set, but was trailing throughout and eventually was sent to a third set. Playing a tiebreaker for the third set, Dush went back-and-forth early on and was separated by just one point until late in the break. She trailed 7-9 and fended off one match point, but Stanford's Geller closed it out and took the 10-8 win to end the match
Utah women's tennis will welcome No. 12-ranked California to the George S. Eccles Tennis Center on Sunday, March 7 to close out the weekend. The Utes and Golden Bears will have first serve come at 11 a.m. MT.
Utah 0, #28 Stanford 7
Singles competition (2,4,1,6,5,3)
1. #10 Michaela Gordon (STAN) def. Lindsay Hung (UTAH) 6-1, 6-1
2. #63 Emily Arbuthnott (STAN) def. Madeline Lamoreaux (UTAH) 6-0, 6-1
3. Ana Geller (STAN) def. Emily Dush (UTAH) 6-7 (3-7), 6-4, 1-0 (10-8)
4. Sara Choy (STAN) def. Anastasia Goncharova (UTAH) 6-0, 6-1
5. #114 Janice Shin (STAN) def. Anya Lamoreaux (UTAH) 6-2, 6-3
6. Emma Higuchi (STAN) def. Olivia Mikkelson (UTAH) 6-1, 6-1
Doubles competition (2,1,3)
1. Michaela Gordon/Niluka Madurawe (STAN) def. Madeline Lamoreaux/Emily Dush (UTAH) 7-5
2. Emily Arbuthnott/Ana Geller (STAN) def. Lindsay Hung/Anastasia Goncharova (UTAH) 6-1
3. Sara Choy/Janice Shin (STAN) def. Jasmine Rich/Anya Lamoreaux (UTAH) 7-6 (7-5)