Waves Win A Tight Match Over USC Men’s Tennis At Marks Stadium
LOS ANGELES, CALIF. — The No. 8 USC men's tennis team was tagged with a rare home loss tonight when visiting No. 27 Pepperdine gutted out a tight battle at Marks Stadium to beat the Trojans 4-3. The Waves grabbed the doubles point and later earned two comeback three-set wins to claim victory over host USC. The Trojans go to 10-4 overall with the loss.
The Waves crashed the Trojans' doubles party by snagging wins on courts three and one. Pepperdine claimed a 6-0 sweep at the No. 3 spot to start, but USC fired back with Mor Bulis and Lodewijk Weststrate's 6-2 win on court two. At the top spot, though, Pepperdine's #34 pair of Den Ouden/Oetzbach made a late move to beat USC's Bradley Frye and Riley Smith 7-5 to get a 1-0 lead on the board for the Waves.
In singles, USC's Bradley Frye and Lodewijk Weststrate pushed the hosts into the lead, 2-1, on decisive wins on courts two and four, respectively. In his USC debut at the No. 2 position, Frye looked plenty comfortable as he ripped his way to a 6-0, 6-4 win over Guy Den Ouden to level things early. Weststrate hopped to next, dispatching Pepperdine's #90 Corrado Summaria 6-0 6-3, and USC was up 2-1. Pepperdine would nab a straight-set win on court six next, however, as Pietro Fellin felled USC freshman Sean Holt 6-3, 6-3 to snarl it up 2-2. As three-setters raged on courts three and five, USC's #19 Riley Smith gave USC a lift with a 7-6 (3), 7-6 (5) win on court one over Adrian Oetzbach, netting a 3-2 USC lead. But was short-lived, as #19 Mor Bulis took a 4-6, 6-3, 6-3 loss to Daniel De Jonge on court three, and it was locked up a 3-3. That turned all eyes onto court five, where USC's Jake Sands was looking to notch a comeback against Robert Shelton. Sands had forced a third, but Shelton dug back in and closed out the win over USC with a 7-6 (7), 5-7, 6-3 decision.
USC's next action takes the Trojans into Pac-12 action with a matchup against visiting Utah on Saturday (March 13) at 3 p.m. at Marks Stadium.
#27 Pepperdine 4, #8 USC 3
March 5, 2021 | Marks Stadium (Los Angeles, Calif.)
(1) #34 Den Ouden/Oetzbach (PEP) def. Frye/R. Smith (USC) - 7-5
(2) Bulis/Weststrate (USC) def. Shelton/Summaria (PEP) - 6-2
(3) DeJonge/Fellin (PEP) def. Holt/C. Smith (USC) - 6-0
Order of finish: 3,
Pepperdine wins doubles point.
(1) #19 Riley Smith (USC) def. Adrian Oetzbach (PEP) - 7-6 (3), 7-6 (5)
(2) Bradley Frye (USC) def. Guy Den Ouden (PEP) - 6-0, 6-4
(3) Daniel De Jonge (PEP) def. #26 Mor Bulis (USC) - 4-6, 6-3, 6-3
(4) Lodewijk Weststrate (USC) def. #90 Corrado Summaria (PEP) - 6-0, 6-3
(5) Robert Shelton (PEP) def. Jake Sands (USC) - 7-6 (7), 5-7, 6-3
(6) Pietro Fellin (PEP) def. Sean Holt (USC) - 6-3, 6-3
Order of finish: 2, 4, 6, 1, 3, 5*