Wildcats Win on the Road Against UCSB
SANTA BARBARA, Calif. - No. 18 Arizona gets the first win of their road trip against UCSB with a 5-2 victory.
The doubles set the tone for the match with dominant performances on all three courts. No. 105 Gustaf Strom got his first shot at the No. 1 spot and did not disappoint. Strom took down No. 27 Joseph Guillen in straight sets in his No. 1 debut. Alejandro Reguant and No. 54 Filip Malbasic also took care of business in straight sets to seal the match. Malbasic grabbed his 10th win in both doubles and singles, while Nick Lagaev also grabbed his 10th on court five.
"Good road win today for our team," Head Coach Clancy Shields said after the match, "It's always difficult to go on the road and win, especially in a tough place like UCSB. Our guys battled hard, the doubles was key and we played very well there. Gustaf came out with a big win at one over a very difficult ranked opponent. Filip and Alejandro were rock solid and really led our group today."
Arizona will be back in action on Sunday, Mar. 7 at 1:30 p.m MST against USD.
1. Ziverts/Middleton def. Tsorotiotis/Brady 6-2
2. Hassey/Reguant def. Krustev/Rotheram 6-2
3. Malbasic/Strom def. Guillen/Vedri 6-4
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3
1. No. 105 Gustaf Strom def. No. 27 Joseph Guillen 7-5, 6-3
2. Stefano Tsorotiotis def. No. 50 Jonas Ziverts 6-3, 6-3
3. No. 54 Filip Malbasic def. Victor Krustev 6-4, 6-1
4. Alejandro Reguant def. Alejandro Vedri 6-2, 6-2
5. Nick Lagaev def. Joseph Rotheram 6-7(5), 7-5, 1-0(6)
6. Pablo Masjuan def. Carlos Hassey 4-6, 6-3, 7-6(2)
Order of finish: 2, 4, 3, 1, 5, 6