Huskies Have Way With Vikings, 7-0
SEATTLE – Husky men's tennis had few problems today in posting a 7-0 sweep against Portland State at the Nordstrom Tennis Center. Washington got back to .500 on the season at 5-5 and all five of UW's wins this season have been shutouts.
"I was eager to get this match going and I think our guys were too," said Head Coach Matt Anger. "We got off to a good start in doubles and that always helps because doubles can go by so fast. We had a couple rough spots in the singles but for the most part we were taking care of business. We get to play again tomorrow which is great because we get a lot of tennis this weekend, so I'm looking forward to it."
The Huskies dropped just one set on the day against the Vikings (4-5). Washington swept the doubles point with no PSU duo earning more than two games.
In singles, Clement Chidekh took the No. 1 match by a 6-2, 6-2 count against Matteo Fortini. Jack Davis was the first to finish, winning at No. 2 against Tommy Edwards, 6-1, 6-3. Ewen Lumsden had the clinching fourth point today, defeating Nikola Dimitrijevic in straight sets, 6-1, 6-1.
Hans Lin was even at 5-5 in his No. 4 singles match against Tommy Hsu, but then Lin won eight games in a row to win it 7-5, 6-0. Jack Pulliam handled Nils Plutat at the No. 5 spot, 6-1, 6-2. The one third set came at No. 6 singles, where Nikit Reddy split sets with Sam Roberts, 6-4, 5-7, and with the match already clinched they played a 10-point tiebreak, with Reddy pulling it out 10-8 to wrap up the action.
Washington will be right back at it against in-state rival Gonzaga, tomorrow at 4 p.m. at either the Bill Quillian Stadium or Nordstrom Tennis Center.
Washington Men's Tennis
March 6, 2021
Nordstrom Tennis Center | Seattle, Wash.
Washington – 7
Portland State – 0
1. Clement Chidekh (UW) def. Matteo Fortini (PSU) – 6-2, 6-2
2. (#65) Jack Davis (UW) def. Tommy Edwards (PSU) – 6-1, 6-3
3. Ewen Lumsden (UW) def. Nikola Dimitrijevic (PSU) – 6-1, 6-1
4. Han-Chih Lin (UW) def. Tommy Hsu (PSU) – 7-5, 6-0
5. Jack Pulliam (UW) def. Nils Plutat (PSU) – 6-1, 6-2
6. Nikit Reddy (UW) def. Sam Roberts (PSU), 6-4, 5-7, (10-8)
Order of finish: 2, 5, 3, 1, 4, 6
1. Davis/Alexis Alvarez (UW) def. Fortini/Edwards (PSU), 6-1
2. Cancel/Chidekh (UW) def. Husin/Hsu (PSU), 6-2
3. Lumsden/Lin (UW) def. Plutat/Roberts (PSU), 6-2
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3