Ducks Beat Cal Poly for Win No. 10
EUGENE, Ore. – The Oregon men's tennis team wrapped its home weekend with a 4-0 victory over Cal Poly at the UO Student Tennis Center. Sunday's win was the Ducks' 10th of the season, and second over Cal Poly in three days. Oregon is now 10-2 overall this season and remains undefeated—9-0—at home.
How it Happened: The Ducks took early control of the match with wins at No. 2 and 3 doubles to clinch the opening point. The team of Brandon Lam and Luke Vandecasteele won its third-consecutive match, and Emmanuel Coste and Jesper Klöv-Nilsson secured the doubles point with their 6-2 win at the No. 3 spot in the lineup.
At No. 3 singles, Quinn Vandecasteele extended the Oregon lead to 2-0 with a straight-set victory. He notched a 6-4, 6-3 win over Antoine Noel, and is now 8-3 this season in singles play. Fellow freshman Ryoma Matsushita was the next Duck off the court, beating Fernando Fonseca in straight set to give UO the 3-0 advantage.
Brandon Lam clinched the team win with a tough 7-6(4), 7-5 victory at No. 5 singles. He tallied two wins Sunday afternoon, along with his success in doubles play. With Lam's clinching result, the three matches still on court were stopped.
Up Next: The Ducks resume their home stand March 20, hosting Seattle U at 11 a.m. (PT). The next day is Oregon's return to Pac-12 play when Utah comes to Eugene.
Oregon 4, Cal Poly 0
1. Charlton/Q. Vandecasteele (ORE) vs Shenkiryk/Leather (CP) – 3-5 [unfinished]
2. Lam/L. Vandecasteele (ORE) d. Noel/Whitehouse (CP) – 6-3
3. Coste/Klöv-Nilsson (ORE) d. Vardanyan/Stater (CP) – 6-2
Order of Finish: 2, 3
1. No. 30 Joshua Charlton (ORE) vs Alex Stater (CP) – 6-1, 5-7, 4-1 [unfinished]
2. No. 76 Emmanuel Coste (ORE) vs Noah Berry (CP) – 7-5, 6-5 [unfinished]
3. Quinn Vandecasteele (ORE) d. Antoine Noel (CP) – 6-4, 6-3
4. Jesper Klöv-Nilsson (ORE) vs Joe Leather (CP) – 6-7(12), 4-5 [unfinished]
5. Brandon Lam (ORE) d. Gary Vardanyan (CP) – 7-6(4), 7-5
6. Ryoma Matsushita (ORE) d. Fernando Fonseca (CP) – 6-2, 6-4
Order of Finish: 3, 6, 5*
* - clincher
For more news and information about the Ducks, follow @OregonMTennis on Instagram and Twitter, and @OregonMensTennis on Facebook.