Huskies Chalk Up 7-0 Win Over Gonzaga
SEATTLE – Washington Men's Tennis wrapped up a strong weekend with its second 7-0 sweep in as many days in the Nordstrom Tennis Center, this time knocking off Gonzaga. All six Husky wins this season have been sweeps, as the Dawgs (6-5) handed the Bulldogs (7-2) their second loss of the season.
Head Coach Matt Anger still wasn't satisfied in spite of the final score. "There were definitely some positives," said Anger. "But there were some clear negatives, things that I'm definitely frustrated with tonight. In the end we won a match, so good for the Huskies, but I know we can do a lot better."
There were a few moments of drama but UW came through unscathed on the scoreboard. In doubles, a win from Clement Chidekh and Thibault Cancel at No. 2 set it up for Jack Davis and Alexis Alvarez to get the clincher at No. 1. But it didn't come as easy as it might have, as Davis and Alverez saw Gonzaga's Andersson/McDonald win five games in a row to tie it at 5-5, before the Husky duo righted the ship and won the last two games to clinch.
In singles, 65th-ranked Jack Davis was a quick 6-4, 6-0 winner over Sasha Trkulja at No. 2 singles and then Ewen Lumsden cruised at No. 3 against Leon Roider, 6-2, 6-1, making it 3-0 overall. Chidekh then came back from 0-4 down in his second set to defeat Matthew Hollingworth, 6-1, 7-6 (3) and provide the clincher.
Adding on, Adam Torocsik came back from a lost first set to beat Hunter Egger, 3-6, 6-4, 6-2, at No. 6 singles. Jack Pulliam won a third set super-tiebreak, 10-8, at No. 5 for the sixth point. Then Han-Chih Lin grinded out a 7-5, 7-6 (4) win over Oliver Andersson at No. 4 singles to complete the UW sweep.
Washington will have just one match next week, a home match against another Northwest rival in Portland, on Mar. 12 at 5 p.m.
March 7, 2021
Nordstrom Tennis Center | Seattle, Wash.
Washington – 7
Gonzaga – 0
1. Clement Chidekh (UW) def. Matthew Hollingworth (GU) – 6-1, 7-6 (3)
2. (#65) Jack Davis (UW) def. Sasha Trkulja (GU) – 6-4, 6-0
3. Ewen Lumsden (UW) def. Leon Roider (GU) – 6-2, 6-1
4. Han-Chih Lin (UW) def. Oliver Andersson (GU) – 7-5, 7-6 (4)
5. Jack Pulliam (UW) def. Pablo Gomez Galvan (GU) – 6-1, 6-7 (5), (10-8)
6. Adam Torocsik (UW) def. Hunter Egger (GU) – 3-6, 6-4, 6-2
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1, 6, 5, 4
1. Davis/Alexis Alvarez (UW) def. Andersson/McDonald (GU), 7-5
2. Cancel/Chidekh (UW) def. Trkulja/Roider (GU), 6-4
3. Perkins/Hollingworth (GU) def. Lumsden/Lin (UW), 6-2
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1