No. 18 Arizona Muscle Out Win Against No. 37 USD
SAN DIEGO, Calif. - No. 18 Arizona holds on to earn a win over the No. 37 University of San Diego with a score of 4-3.
The Cats fell behind early with a loss during the doubles point. Arizona took the lead with Nick Lagaev and No. 54 Filip Malbasic winning their singles matches in straight sets. After falling behind once more, Alejandro Reguant punched in a third set victory to tie the game. No. 105 Gustaf Strom clinched the victory in a third set tiebreaker win at the No. 2 spot to keep the Wildcats rolling.
"Another tough road win against a very good team on their home courts," Head Coach Clancy Shields said, "We will use this win to propel us forward, and be mindful of the areas that made this match difficult. I'm proud to coach in a match like this, both teams left every ounce out there, and we were fortunate to come out on top."
The Wildcats will come home for one match against VCU on Sunday, Mar. 14 at 12 p.m MST.
1. Holmgren/Nordfelt def. Ziverts/Middleton 6-2
2. Hassey/Reguant vs. Borter/Sharrma 6-2
3. Kasday/Schraber def. Malbasic/Strom 6-3
Order of finish: 3, 1
1. No. 60 August Holmgren def. No. 50 Jonas Ziverts 3-6, 6-4, 6-3
2. No. 105 Gustaf Strom def. David Nordfelt 1-6, 6-4, 7-6(2)
3. No. 54 Filip Malbasic def. Nico Borter 6-1, 6-4
4. Alejandro Reguant def. Marvin Schraber 6-1, 6-7, 6-1
5. Sacchitt Sharrma def. Igor Karpovets 7-6, 6-3
6. Nick Lagaev def. Garret Kurtz 6-1, 6-2
Order of finish: 6, 3, 5, 1, 4, 2