No. 18 USC Lacrosse Trounces UC Davis in 20-10 Victory
LOS ANGELES – The 18th-ranked USC lacrosse team (2-2) defeated UC Davis (4-2) by a 20-10 count in its first home game of the season at McAlister Field on Sunday, March 7.
- Sr. attacker Sophia Donovan led all players with four goals to notch her ninth-career hat trick game. She also picked up three ground balls and had the team-high for shots on goal with seven.
- Sr. midfielder Kelsey Huff delivered her 16th-career hat trick with three goals and moved into a tie for fourth all-time in USC history with Kylie Drexel (2014-17). Huff also won two draws and picked up a ground ball.
- Sr. goalie Riley Hertford posted 14 saves to tie the fourth most in a single game in program history. She also had three ground balls and caused a turnover.
- Gr. attacker Maddie McDaniel pulled in 12 draw controls and scored a pair of goals. It was her second double-digit draw control game of the season and the fifth of her career.
- Gr. attacker Izzy McMahon had four points on a season-high three assists and a goal to go with four draw controls.
- For the Aggies, Sorana Larson, Kate Graham, and Natalie Wilson each scored two goals. Taylor Mathieson had five ground balls but surrendered 16 goals while between the pipes.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- 12 different Women of Troy scored goals and USC dominated the draw circle to open the game strong and were never threatened by the Aggies.
- The Trojans used a 4-0 run to lead, 6-2, at the 17:38 mark of the first half when Donovan racked up her third goal of the day. UC Davis had a response, but USC turned a 5-1 burst into an 11-4 lead right before halftime.
- The Aggies traded goals at a 1-2 clip and fell behind by 10 at 18-8 when Erin Bakes scored the first of her two goals off a feed from Finley Ueland. Down the stretch, the Trojans held off the Aggies and scored two more to make it a 20-10 final.
- USC heads to the Bay Area for games at California (1-2) on Friday (March 12) in Berkeley, Calif.; and at Stanford (1-0) on Sunday (March 14) in Stanford, Calif. The Trojans and the Cardinal will be shown live on Pac-12 Networks at 2 p.m. PT.
- USC improved to 6-0 all-time against UC Davis.
- The Trojans improved to 48-11 all-time at McAlister Field and to 5-1 in home openers played there. USC went to 5-4 all-time in home openers overall (including games at other fields and stadiums).
- The Women of Troy scored 20 goals (or more) for the 15th time in program history and for the second time this season (at San Diego State, Feb. 13).
- USC's 15 combined saves between Riley Hertford (14) and Delaney Sweitzer (1) account for the fourth most in a single game in school history and the most since USC had 17 saves against Stanford on March 25, 2019.
All USC women's lacrosse competitions will be conducted in accordance with the Pac-12 COVID-19 Medical Advisory Committee health and safety recommendations and guidelines, available at Pac-12.com/health. For more information on the USC women's lacrosse team, a complete schedule, and results, please visit USCTrojans.com. Fans of the Women of Troy can follow the team on Instagram and on Twitter @USCTrojansLax.