No.28 Stanford Sweeps Buffs
BOULDER — The University of Colorado women's tennis program was swept Sunday afternoon by two-time defending national champion and No.28-ranked Stanford, 7-0, here.
"As a coaching staff we're always really focused on just trying to get better match to match and focusing on the controllables and I thought the team did a good job today of making progress," said assistant coach Anthony Nguyen Pham. "Coming off a big win against Cal, today we competed hard and gave ourselves a chance. We're proud of the progress we're making and the most important thing is we continue to get better. We get back to practice next week and try to get better every day and focus on the next match. As a whole we're proud of how we competed this week and represented Colorado."
The Buffaloes (7-3, 1-1 Pac-12) suffer its first loss at home as Stanford (3-0, 1-0 Pac-12) continues its streak of 21-straight points to start the season.
Colorado had hope early after Sara Nayar and Fleur Eggink defeated Michaela Gordon and Niluka Madurawe by a score of 6-1 in the No.1 doubles match. The two went 2-0 this weekend against good Pac-12 No.1s in doubles. Unfortunately, Stanford won the No.2 and No.3 doubles matches by a score of 6-1, 6-0 to take the point.
The Cardinal never slowed down as they took all six opening sets, three of which came from 6-2 scores or better. Colorado didn't pick up a set until after it was already down 3-0 in the match with Ana Geller defeating Megan Forster 6-1, 6-0 in the No.3 singles match and Ky Ecton falling to Madurawe in consecutive 6-0 sets. The only set CU won came from Maria Campos against Sara Choy in the No.4 doubles match, but she ultimately fell 6-2, 4-6, 6-2.
In the ranked singles matches, Antonia Balzert fell to No.63 Emily Arbuthnott 6-3, 6-3 in the No.2 match after Stanford had clinched the match in the No.5 singles match with Eggink falling to Janice Shin 6-4, 6-3. Nayar put up a strong fight in the final set of the day against No.10 Gordon, but ended up falling 6-2, 7-6(7).
Colorado returns to action next week on the road against Oregon on Friday, March 12 at 2:30 p.m. MT.
#28 Stanford 7, Colorado 0
1. #10 Michaela Gordon (STAN) def. Sara Nayar (COLO) 6-2, 7-6 (8-7)
2. #63 Emily Arbuthnott (STAN) def. Antonia Balzert (COLO) 6-3, 6-3
3. Ana Geller (STAN) def. Megan Forster (COLO) 6-1, 6-0
4. Sara Choy (STAN) def. Maria Campos (COLO) 6-2, 4-6, 6-2
5. Niluka Madurawe (STAN) def. Fleur Eggink (COLO) 6-4, 6-3
6. Emma Higuchi (STAN) def. Ky Ecton (COLO) 6-0, 6-0
1. Sara Nayar/Fleur Eggink (COLO) def. Michaela Gordon/Niluka Madurawe (STAN) 6-1
2. Emily Arbuthnott/Ana Geller (STAN) def. Antonia Balzert/Megan Forster (COLO) 6-0
3. Sara Choy/Janice Shin (STAN) def. Maria Campos/Ky Ecton (COLO) 6-1
Stanford 3-0; National ranking #28
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (3,6,5,2,4,1)