Utah Women's Tennis Falls To No. 12 California
SALT LAKE CITY – The Utah women's tennis team dropped a match Sunday afternoon to the No. 12-ranked California Golden Bears to close out the first weekend of conference play. The Utes fell 7-0 to the ranked squad at the George S. Eccles Tennis Center in Salt Lake City.
Utah dropped doubles matches on court one and three to fall behind 1-0 to start the day against the Golden Bears. With the point already decided, Anastasia Goncharova and Lindsay Hung played out their match on court two where the duo went on to best Cal's No. 2 doubles team. Goncharova and Hung battled it out game for game and tied at 4-4, the two Utes went on to take the next two games and set 6-4 for the victory.
Cal took the upper hand on court five for the second point of the match after Madison Tattini fell 6-0, 6-1, while the Golden Bears added another when No. 18-ranked Haley Giavara downed Hung on court one 6-0, 6-2. The match was clinched by No. 43-ranked Julia Rosenqvist on court two after she bested Madeline Lamoreaux 6-1, 6-2.
Emily Dush put up a fight against the nation's No. 26-ranked player from Cal on court three, but ultimately fell. Anya Lamoreaux battled it out for the Utes on court six and after dropping the first set, she had tied the set 4-4 in the second, but could not take the win as she came up short in the next two games.
In the marathon match on court four, Goncharova built a 5-3 lead in her first set and after withstanding a rally by Cal's Bui, she was able to pull out the 7-5 win to take the first set. In the second set, Goncharova fell behind 0-3, but slowly chipped away at the lead and brought the set score to 4-5. She then took a 6-5 lead after back-to-back game wins, but Bui stopped the run and tied the set 6-6 to head to a tiebreaker.
Goncharova fell behind 5-1 in the tiebreaker, but rattled off four of the next five points to cut the lead to just 6-5. Cal's Bui managed to put it away and win the tiebreaker 7-5 and the set 7-6. The third set was played as a tiebreaker to 10, and after falling behind early, Goncharova could not complete the comeback and fell 10-6 to drop the match.
Utah women's tennis will be back in action this Thursday, March 11, when the team travels to Pullman, Wash. The Utes will face the Washington State Cougars to begin the road trip and will then head to Eugene, Ore., taking on the Oregon Ducks on Sunday, March 14.
Utah 0, #12 California 7
Singles competition (5,1,2,3,6,4)
1. #18 Haley Giavara (CAL) def. Lindsay Hung (UTAH) 6-0, 6-2
2. #43 Julia Rosenqvist (CAL) def. Madeline Lamoreaux (UTAH) 6-1, 6-2
3. #26 Valentina Ivanov (CAL) def. Emily Dush (UTAH) 6-3, 6-3
4. Jada Bui (CAL) def. Anastasia Goncharova (UTAH) 5-7, 7-6 (7-5), 1-0 (10-6)
5. Hannah Vill. Moeller (CAL) def. Madison Tattini (UTAH) 6-0, 6-1
6. Anna Bright (CAL) def. Anya Lamoreaux (UTAH) 6-3, 6-4
Doubles competition (1,3,2)
1. #40 Haley Giavara/Valentina Ivanov (CAL) def. Madeline Lamoreaux/Emily Dush (UTAH) 6-2
2. Anastasia Goncharova/Lindsay Hung (UTAH) def. Anna Bright/Hannah Vill. Moeller (CAL) 6-4
3. Julia Rosenqvist/Erin Richardson (CAL) def. Anya Lamoreaux/Jasmine Rich (UTAH) 6-2