Women’s Tennis Completes Weekend Sweep
BOULDER, Colo. – Pushing its stretch of shutouts to four to open the season, Stanford women's tennis posted a 7-0 victory on Sunday over Colorado. The Cardinal moves to 4-0 (2-0 Pac-12) this season, while the Buffaloes drop to 7-3 (1-1 Pac-12).
Stanford won two of three doubles matches to take an early 1-0 lead. Emily Arbuthnott and Ana Geller made quick work on the second court, winning 6-0, while Sara Choy and Janice Shin gave Stanford the lead with a 6-1 win to close doubles action.
Stanford remained unbeaten in singles play, winning on all six courts. Michaela Gordon, Anna Geller and Sara Choy each moved to 4-0 on the season, while Emily Arbuthnott and Emma Higuchi added their third wins and Niluka Madurawe her second. Geller and Higuchi finished first in decisive fashion, while Madurawe provided the clinching point on court five, 6-4, 6-3.
The Cardinal returns home for two matches in the coming week at Taube Family Tennis Center.
1) Nayar/Eggink (COL) d. Gordon/Madurawe (STAN), 6-1
2) Arbuthnott/Geller (STAN) d. Balzert/Forster (COL), 6-0
3) Choy/Shin (STAN) d. Campos/Ecton (COL), 6-1
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3
1) No. 10 Michaela Gordon (STAN) d. Sara Nayar (COL), 6-2, 7-6 (8-7)
2) No. 63 Emily Arbuthnott (STAN) d. Antonia Balzert (COL), 6-3, 6-3
3) Ana Geller (STAN) d. Megan Forster (COL), 6-1, 6-0
4) Sara Choy (STAN) d. Maria Campos (COL), 6-2, 4-6, 6-2
5) Niluka Madurawe (STAN) d. Fleur Eggink (COL), 6-4, 6-3
6) Emma Higuchi (STAN) d. Ky Ecton (COL), 6-0, 6-0
Order of Finish: 3, 6, 5, 2, 4, 1