15 Bears Earn NCAA Invites
BERKELEY – A total of 15 Golden Bears, as well as all five of California's relays, have earned invitations to the 2021 NCAA Men's Swimming & Diving Championships in Greensboro, North Carolina, on March 24-27. Cal's 15 invitees, listed below, combined for 32 individual events.
- Daniel Carr – 100 back, 200 back, 200 IM
- Hugo González – 200 IM, 400 IM, 200 breast
- Sean Grieshop – 500 free, 400 IM, 1650 free
- Ryan Hoffer – 50 free, 100 fly, 100 free
- Chris Jhong – 400 IM
- Trenton Julian – 200 free, 500 free, 200 fly
- Tyler Kopp – 400 IM, 1650 free
- Destin Lasco – 100 back, 200 back
- Bryce Mefford – 200 IM, 100 back, 200 back
- Colby Mefford – 200 free, 200 back
- Dare Rose – 200 fly
- Björn Seeliger – 50 free
- Sebastian Somerset – 200 back
- Reece Whitley – 100 breast, 200 breast
- Zach Yeadon – 500 free, 1650 free
In addition to the 15 NCAA invitees, Cal intends to travel senior Nate Biondi for relay purposes.
Cal is the reigning NCAA champion, having won the most recent team title in 2019 (2020 NCAA Championships were canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic). The Bears have won six NCAA team titles dating back to 1980, including four under head coach David Durden since 2011. Cal has finished first or second at each NCAA Championship meet held since 2010.
The Bears are fresh off of winning their fourth consecutive Pac-12 Championship on Feb. 28-March 3 in Houston, where they won a program-record 17 swimming events – 12 individual, five relays – across the four-day championship meet. Hoffer was named the swimmer of the meet for the second consecutive year after sweeping his three individual events (50 free, 100 free, 100 fly) and contributing to four relay wins. González, Julian, Lasco and Whitley also won multiple events at the Pac-12 Championships.
For complete coverage of Cal men's swimming and diving, please follow the Bears on Twitter (@CalMenSwim), Instagram (@CalMenSwim) and Facebook (Facebook.com/CalMensSwimmingandDiving).