Oregon State Returns Home to Face Arizona, No. 24 Arizona State
CORVALLIS, Ore. - The Oregon State women's soccer team will return home to play the Pac-12 Arizona teams.
Arizona at Oregon State
DATE: Friday, March 12
TIME: 7:00 PM PST
SITE: Paul Lorenz Field - Corvallis, Ore.
RECORDS: Oregon State 2-4, 0-3 Pac-12; Arizona 4-2, 0-2 Pac-12
SERIES RECORD: Arizona leads, 14-10-1
#24 Arizona State at Oregon State
DATE: Sunday, March 14
TIME: 12:00 PM PST
SITE: Paul Lorenz Field - Corvallis, Ore.
RECORDS: Oregon State 2-4, 0-3 Pac-12; Arizona State 5-0-1, 1-0-1 Pac-12
SERIES RECORD: Arizona State leads, 14-8-1
STREAM: Pac-12 Networks
*records as of 3/8/21
The match against Arizona State will air live on Pac-12 Oregon. Fans with subscriptions to the network can also watch the meet on Pac-12.com, or via the Pac-12 Now app.
Oregon State notes | Arizona notes | Arizona State notes
ABOUT THE BEAVERS
• Oregon State is currently 2-4 on the season with a 0-3 Pac-12 record.
• The Beavers opened the season with a 3-0 win at Idaho. In a non-league game, OSU beat No. 3 Stanford, 2-1, on Feb. 28.
• OSU's four losses on the season come from a 4-3 loss at Portland (2/10), a 3-1 loss against No. 14 California (2/26), a 2-0 loss at No. 13 USC (3/5), and a 2-1 fall in overtime to No. 3 UCLA (3/7).
• Sophomore Brianna McReynolds leads the team with 10 points on four goals and two assists.
• Senior Kaillen Fried leads the team's assists with four, all four of which come from corner kicks.
• Sophomore Abby Schwartz and McReynolds have combined for a goal on three different occasions, including the lone goal against the Golden Bears and the game-winning goal against the Cardinal.
• Junior goalkeeper Bridgette Skiba leads those in goal with a 2.01 goals-against average and a 0.636 save percentage in 537:50.
LAST WEEK IN REVIEW
• The Beavers opened the weekend at No. 13 USC on Friday, March 5. Redshirt-junior McKenzie Weinert tallied the only shot on goal for Oregon State.
• On Sunday, March 7, No. 3 UCLA scored first. After the start of the second half, junior Sydney Studer, assisted by redshirt-sophomore Madison Ellsworth and senior Kaillen Fried, tied the score. After holding off the Bruins for the rest of regulation, the teams headed into overtime. The Bruins finished the game with a header off a corner kick in the 100th minute.
• Redshirt-sophomore Madison Ellsworth tallied her first career assist.
OREGON STATE 2020 PREVIEW
• Oregon State will host seven home games in Corvallis.
• OSU returns 10 starters from 2019.
• The Beavers are scheduled to face five opponents currently ranked in the top 25 on Top Drawer Soccer, including two in the top five.
• Two players earned All-Pac-12 honors following the 2019 season, both of which will be returning (Weinert - third team, McReynolds - freshman team).
• Oregon State placed nine players on the Pac-12 Fall Honor Roll, including seven players that will be returning to the squad this season (Deane, Ellsworth, Fried, Gorzynski, Nickerson, Skiba, Weinert).
PAC-12 TEAM RANKINGS
As of March 10, Oregon State ranks:
• 2nd; .175 shot percentage
• 3rd; 22 total saves
• T-3rd; 10 total assists
• 6th; 10 total goals
PAC-12 INDIVIDUAL RANKINGS
• T-3rd; 0.67 assists per game
• 6th; 1.67 points per game
• T-7th; 0.67 goals per game
• T-17th; 2.33 shots per game
• T-11th; 0.40 assists per game
• T-2nd; 3.50 saves per game
• T-13th; 0.50 goals per game
• T-19th; 1.00 point per game
OREGON STATE CAREER RECORDS
• Ranks 7th in solo shutouts (7); tied with Dinah Marsh (1990-92) … Needs one more to tie Jo Fletcher (2001-02) for sixth place.
• Ranks 8th in saves (167) … Needs 21 more to tie Sammy Jo Prudhoome (2012-13) for seventh place.
OREGON STATE SEASON RECORDS
• Needs two more assists to be tied for eighth (6) with many other players, most recently Megan Miller (2012).
• Arizona is 4-2 overall with a 0-2 Pac-12 record.
• The Wildcats opened the season with four-straight wins over Grand Canyon (4-1, 2/4), UTEP (2-0, 2/7), New Mexico State (4-0, 2/13), and Northern Arizona (3-0, 2/20).
• Arizona played UCLA and Washington on Feb. 26 and Mar. 5, respectively, to open Pac-12 play.
• Jill Aguilera leads the team with 10 points from four goals and two assists.
• Jada Talley follows closely with three goals.
• Jordan Hall is tied with Aguilera with two assists.
• Hope Hisey leads the goalkeepers with a 1.03 goals-against average and 19 saves in 523 minutes of play.
AGAINST THE WILDCATS
• Arizona leads the all-time series, 14-10-1.
• In their last meeting in 2019, the Beavers fell 2-1. Sydney Studer, assisted by Bridgette Skiba, scored the first goal of the game but the Wildcats answered with two goals of their own.
• The Beavers last beat the Wildcats in 2012, to cap off a four-game win streak, with a 5-1 victory.
ABOUT ARIZONA STATE
• Arizona State is ranked No. 24 by Top Drawer Soccer after winning its first five games of the season and tallying a 1-1 tie against Washington (3/7).
• The Sun Devils found victories over UTEP (3-1, 2/4), New Mexico State (4-0, 2/11), Grand Canyon (twice) (3-2, 2/11 & 4-0, 2/14), and USC (1-0, 2/26) for an overall 5-0-1 record and a 1-0-1 conference record.
• Nicole Douglas leads the team with 14 points and six goals.
• Alexia Delgado tops the team with five assists.
• Seven different Sun Devils have scored a goal with nine different players assisting. Three of those have tallied multiple goals and five have notched multiple assists.
• Giulia Cascapera leads the goalkeepers with a 0.57 goals-against average and 11 saves in 477 minutes of play.
AGAINST THE SUN DEVILS
• Arizona State leads the all-time series, 14-8-1.
• The Beavers last saw the Sun Devils for a 3-1 win on the road. McKenzie Weinert scored two goals in the first half for a 2-0 lead at halftime. Abby Schwartz tallied the third goal for OSU in the second half. In the 82nd minute, Arizona State took away the shutout with a goal.
• Oregon State last beat the Sun Devils at home in 2016 with a 2-0 shutout in October.
A LOOK BACK AT 2019
• OSU posted a final record of 11-6-2 and a 3-6-2 conference record.
• As a sophomore, Bridgette Skiba recorded 69 saves on the season, which was the sixth-most in the Pac-12.
• Skiba posted all seven shutouts for the Beavers.
• Five players started every game on the season - Madison Ellsworth, Marley Salveter, Bridgette Skiba, Sydney Studer, and McKenzie Weinert.
• Studer (1768) and Ellsworth (1756) led the team in playing minutes on the 2019 season.
• McKenzie Weinert led the Beavers with 21 points and nine goals.
• Brianna McReynolds led OSU with five assists.
• Six Beavers return after scoring at least one goal last season - Conrad (2), Fried (2), McReynolds (5), Schwartz (5), Studer (3), Weinert (9).
• 13 returning players competed in at least 13 games on the 2019 season.
• The Beavers have two seniors on the 2020-21 squad - Kaillen Fried and Nicole Nickerson.
• There were 13 additions to the team with the arrivals of one transfer, Melissa Symmes, and 12 freshmen - Jazy Campbell, Hailey Coll, Isobel Herrod, Amber Jackson, Gwen Jacobs, Bryana Pizarro, Aubrie Rasheed, Haley Richardson, Alyssa Romero, Valerie Tobias, Anna Wagner, Gaelle Wells.
• 14 of the returning soccer players competed in at least one game in the last season.
• OSU has 10 players that hail from Oregon - Fried (Sherwood), Weinert (Milwaukie), Gorzynski (Corvallis), Skiba (Portland), Ellsworth (Hillsboro), Brown (Happy Valley), Conrad (West Linn), Tetz (Happy Valley), Salveter (Sandy), Coll (Eugene).
• The Beavers have two teammates from outside the United States - Laura Galceran (Barcelona, Spain) and Abby Schwartz (Port Moody, British Columbia).
• Outside of Oregon, the team has 17 players that represent seven different states. California is the most represented with 11 players while Indiana, Minnesota, New York, Texas, Virginia, and Washington all hold one player's hometown.
ABOUT HEAD COACH MATT KAGAN
• The 2020-21 season is Matt Kagan's second year coaching at Oregon State.
• In his first season as head coach of the Beavers, Kagan improved OSU from a 2-17 record with a 1-10 conference record in 2018 to an 11-6-2, 3-6-2 finish in 2019.
• Kagan joined Oregon State after spending two years with Mississippi State as the associate head coach. In his first season at MSU, the Bulldogs had the best program record in 16 years.
• Kagan has been a member of nine coaching staffs that have led teams to the NCAA Tournament - three of those teams have advanced to the Sweet 16.
• Next weekend, on Friday, March 19, the Beavers will host the Ducks for game one of this year's rivalry series.
For more information on the Oregon State women's soccer team, visit OSUBeavers.com or follow the club on Twitter and Instagram, @BeaverWSoccer.
Oregon State Athletics strives to Build Excellent Authentic Visionary Student-Athletes (Go BEAVS).