USC Women's Volleyball Returns to Action at No. 8 Washington
LOS ANGELES – The USC women's volleyball team (3-5, 3-5 Pac-12) resumes competition with two matches in the Pacific Northwest at No. 8 Washington (11-3, 11-3) following a two-week pause due to COVID-19 protocols. The Trojans and Huskies will meet at Alaska Airlines Arena on Friday night (March 12) at 6 p.m. PT and then again on Sunday afternoon (March 14) at 1 p.m.
Prior to the pause in team activities, USC had won back-to-back matches at California and was building cohesiveness and continuity. The cancellation of home contests against Arizona State and Washington State left USC at 3-5 and upped the team's total for canceled matches to six, behind only Stanford in the Pac-12, which has lost 10 competition dates to COVID-19 protocols.
Despite its record, under first-year head coach Brad Keller, USC has held its own against top Pac-12 teams. Three of USC's losses have come in five sets against Utah and Oregon. Sr. OH Brooke Botkin has produced double-doubles six times and Jr. setter Raquel Lázaro leads all Trojans with 36-career double-doubles.
MATCH #9 • Friday, March 12 • 6 p.m. PT
MATCH #10 • Sunday, March 14 • 1 p.m. PT
USC (3-5, 3-5) at No. 8 Washington (11-3, 11-3)
Alaska Airlines Arena • Seattle, Wash.
SERIES RECORD: USC leads, 43-28 (.606)
LAST MEETING: W, 3-2 (Nov. 1, 2019 • Seattle, Wash.)
STREAK: Won 2 • LAST 10: 5-5
OPPONENT WEBSITE: GoHuskies.com
- The Women of Troy are under the direction of first-year head coach Brad Keller who previously served as an assistant coach for the Men of Troy.
- Sr. OH Brooke Botkin and Jr. S Raquel Lázaro were each chosen to the Pac-12 Preseason All-Conference Team.
- USC was picked to finish fifth in a preseason poll of the league's coaches.
- The Trojans are 43-28 all-time against Washington, including a 17-16 record in Seattle. USC has won three of the last four meetings.
- Brooke Botkin has posted a double-double in six of the seven matches she has played in this season with 24 in her career. Raquel Lázaro leads all current Trojans with 36-career double-doubles.
- The Women of Troy are 40-31 all-time in the Evergreen State.
- USC has had six matches canceled this season due to COVID-19 protocols. From the Pac-12, only Stanford has had more matches canceled (10).
LAST TIME OUT: USC collected two four-set victories at California. OH Brooke Botkin set a new career mark with a .553 hitting percentage on a season-best 22 kills in the Trojans' first match. Setter Raquel Lázaro posted her 36th-career double-double with 39 assists and 17 digs in the win. In the second match, OH Brooklyn Schirmer had a career-high .320 hitting rate with a season-high 11 kills while MB Aleksandra Gryka scored 13.5 points on six kills, five service aces, and five blocks. The Women of Troy won their 10th and 11th straight matches over the Golden Bears and improved to 64-12 all-time against Cal.
DOUBLE DOWN: Four current Trojans have recorded career double-doubles. Junior setter Raquel Lázaro has logged 36 double-doubles (4 this season) and is the owner of the first and only USC triple-double in the rally scoring era (36 assists, 16 digs, 11 blocks at Northern Iowa, Sept. 7, 2019). Senior OH Brooke Botkin has 24-career double-double matches (6 in 2020-21). Sophomore OH Kalen Owes has recorded three-career double-doubles and sophomore OPP Emilia Weske has had two-career double-double matches.
LONG DISTANCE: The Trojans have played five sets three times (0-3) this season. In 2019, USC played five a school-record 11 times and went 4-7 in those contests. Previously, USC played nine five-set matches in a season three times (1980, 2007, 2010). In each of those seasons, the Trojans went 8-1 in five-setters. The Women of Troy are 140-93 all-time in five-set matches: 56-34 at home; 61-46 on the road; and 23-13 in neutral locations.
NOTE: All volleyball competitions this spring will be conducted in accordance with the Pac-12 COVID-19 Medical Advisory Committee health and safety recommendations and guidelines available at Pac-12.com/health.
For more information on the USC women's volleyball team and a complete schedule and results, please visit USCTrojans.com/WVB. Fans of the Women of Troy can follow @USCWomensVolley on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.