Aztecs Return Home to Host Cal
California (0-3-0, 0-3-0) at San Diego State (0-2-1, 0-2-1)
Saturday, March 13 | 1 p.m. PT | SDSU Sports Deck | San Diego, Calif.
Media Coverage: Live Stream | Live Stats
Notes from the Washington Match (2-3 OT, March 6)
• The Aztecs led 2-1 on the road at No. 8 Washington entering the 90th minute when the Huskies scored the equalizer with 59 seconds left in regulation. UW then scored the game-winner 100 seconds into the first period of extra time.
• This was the second consecutive match where the Aztecs forced extra time against a top ten team.
• SDSU only had two shots, both of which were goals. Washington had 19 with five coming on frame.
• Blake Bowen scored both of the Aztec goals. One came on a penalty kick and then other on a give-and-go combo with Tevenn Roux.
• Six Aztecs played the full 92 minutes, five of which were underclassmen.
• SDSU continued its physical defense, accumulating 18 fouls to UW's eight.
• All three of the Aztec matches have gone to extra time.
• SDSU's lone conference win last season came at California, a win 1-0 victory. Freshman goalkeeper Tetsuya Kadono faced 27 shots, including 17 in the second half, and collected eight saves to record his first collegiate shutout.
• Blake Bowen has scored all three of SDSU's goals this season. His 2.0 points per game is third in the Pac-12.
• Bowen is also third in the conference with 1.3 shots on goal per game.
• The Aztecs have used the same starting XI in every match this season.
• Six Aztecs have played every minute so far, five of which are underclassmen (Colonna, Hankins, Kadono, Katsaros and Ochoa) along with Reagan Sherlock. Blake Bowen has only sat for two minutes.
• The Aztecs have been an aggressive unit thus far, committing a Pac-12 high 17 fouls per game while drawing 7.7 a game.
• The Aztecs are ranked ninth in the United Soccer Coaches Far West Region rankings. Three Pac-12 teams are ranked in the top ten in the nation: No. 2 Stanford, No. 5 Oregon State and No. 7 Washington.
• Ryan Hopkins is in his first year as the Aztecs' head coach. He comes to SDSU from Virginia (2018-19) whereas an assistant he helped lead the Cavaliers to the 2019 NCAA Championship match. Hopkins has also made stops as an assistant at Denver (2013-17), Wisconsin (2012), Cal Poly (2009-11) and Concordia (2004-08), his alma mater.
• Hopkins was listed as one of the Top 12 Assistant Coaches by College Soccer News in three of the last four seasons and was named the 2015 NSCAA West Region Assistant Coach of the Year.
• The Aztecs have 13 newcomers (all freshmen), and their recruiting class has been ranked in the top 10 nationally by Top Drawer Soccer.
• Andre Ochoa was named to Top Drawer Soccer's Freshman Best XI preseason team. Ochoa was one of just four freshmen midfielders chosen and the only Pac-12 freshman named.
• The Aztecs posted a 3.26 team GPA in the 2020 fall semester, best among SDSU's men's programs.
Opponent Notebook (California)
Cal is 0-3-0 so far on the season with all of their matches coming against Pac-12 opponents currently ranked in the top ten… They have been outscored 9-1 and outshot 57-22… JJ Foe Nuphaus and Ian Lonergan have played every minute for the Golden Bears… They split time with two goalkeepers in their first two matches, but Collin Travasos (Encinitas, Calif.) played the full 90 against Oregon State last Saturday and collected five saves while facing 18 shots. Travasos leads the Pac-12 averaging 4.0 saves per game… Cal went 8-7-3 in 2019 and made the NCAA Tournament… Head coach Kevin Grimes (21st season) is the program's all-time winningest coach and has been named the Pac-12 Coach of the Year five times… He has a career record of 204-141-45… The Aztecs are 23-24-4 all-time against Cal and split their meetings in 2019 with the road team winning both matches.