No. 24 Soccer Travels to Pacific Northwest
EUGENE, Ore. -- The No. 24 Sun Devil Soccer team takes off for the Pacific Northwest on its first road trip of the season this weekend at Oregon and Oregon State. The undefeated ASU squad meets UO on Friday, March 12, at 8:00 p.m. MST. Two days later, at noon MST on Sunday, March 14, ASU features on the Pac-12 Network in a battle on the pitch against OSU.
The Sun Devils (5-0-1/1-0-1) season start outshines its counterparts as neither opponent leans in the win column. UO (2-3-1) won one conference game against Stanford so far this year, while OSU (2-4-0) has yet to notch a conference win.
TEAM EFFORT ?? pic.twitter.com/TdgQlOYdb4
— Sun Devil Soccer (@SunDevilSoccer) March 10, 2021
Historically, ASU boasts a winning record against both schools - taking a 12-8-3 record against the Ducks and a 13-8-1 record versus the Beavers. However, ASU's last win against the duo was in 2018.
The "lemonade year" is paying dividends for the Sun Devils through six games. The team leads the Pac-12 Conference in total assists (18), total goals (16), total points (50), and points per game (8.33). After riding in the receiving votes section of Top Drawer Soccer's Top-25 DI Poll, the Sun Devils broke into the fold this week at No. 24.
SUN DEVIL REWIND
Last Sunday, ASU turned out in near-90 degree heat for a double-overtime battle against Washington at Sun Devil Stadium. Both teams scored early in the first frame, which would be the only two goals scored through 110 minutes.
The conference's assist leader, Alexia Delgado, scored the Sun Devils' sole goal - her first of the season.
Despite the result, the performance proved positive for the Sun Devils, who faced a Huskies team that just defeated that 'team down south' the same week, beating them with a silencing 3-0 shutout.
— Sun Devil Soccer (@SunDevilSoccer) March 7, 2021
SHOW ME THE FACTS
- The team's double-overtime tie against Washington last weekend was the first home tie since a 2-2 versus Utah on September 27, 2019
- First Pac-12 tie since a scoreless deadlock against Washington State on October 13, 2019
- Douglas Mania: the junior leads the Pac-12 Conference in total points (14), goals (6), points per game (2.33), and goals per game (1.00).
- Goalkeeper Giulia Cascapera's three shutouts leads the Pac-12
- The team's total assists (18), total goals (16), and total points (50) leads the Pac-12 Conference.
- The team's average of 8.33 points per game is the Pac-12 leader and ranks 16th in the NCAA.
- ASU has outscored its opponents 16-4 in five meetings - including three shutouts
- Nicole Douglas and Olivia Nguyen earned back-to-back Pac-12 Offensive Player of the Week (Week 1 & 2)
- Freshman Lucy Johnson started in all six games and recorded two assists and six shots from the backline
- Cinderella story: Nguyen went through two years as a Sun Devil without recording any points. All that changed in the 2020-21 season opener when the junior recorded her first collegiate goal/point against UTEP. Her 11 points are second-most in the Pac-12 behind teammate Douglas.
- Assist Queen: Alexia Delgado boasts five assists in six appearances. It's more than double the two she earned in 2019. Delgado scored her first goal of the season last weekend against Washington.