#26 Women’s Tennis Takes #38 Washington State 6-1
PULLMAN, Wash. -- The No. 26 Sun Devils (8-3, 2-0 Pac-12) notched their second straight victory in dominant fashion over the No. 38 Washington State Cougars (7-6, 0-2 Pac-12) on Friday afternoon in Pullman, Washington. The Sun Devils came out hot, winning the doubles point and three of the first four singles matches before finishing strong in the final two matches to beat the Cougars 6-1.
"Happy to get a hard fought win on the road," head coach Sheila McInerney said. "Despite the 6-1 score the match was very competitive throughout. Definitely helped to pull out the doubles point in a tiebreaker at No. 3. Domi and Giulia really stepped up at the end. We're looking forward to another tough one in Seattle on Sunday."
After the Sun Devils lost the first doubles match, No. 50 Ilze Hattingh/Lauryn John-Baptiste won on court one to leave the doubles point up to the third court. Guilia Morlet/Domenika Turkovic prevailed, winning 7-6 (7-4) in a tiebreaker to give the Sun Devils the doubles point.
The Sun Devils continued the momentum from squeaking out the doubles point into singles. No. 115 Sammi Hampton was the first off of the court, defeating Washington State's Hikaru Sato 6-3, 6-4 on court two. The teams split the next two singles matches, with junior Domenika Turkovic defeating Washington State's Melisa Ates 6-2, 7-5 on court 6 to give the Sun Devils at 3-1 lead. The Sun Devils needed to win one of the three remaining matches to come out with the victory and senior Lauryn John-Baptiste delivered again in the tiebreaker – this time by herself – and won 6-0, 7-6 (7-1) on court 3.
The Sun Devils will travel from East-to-West Washington to take on the Washington Huskies in Seattle Sunday at noon MST.
Mar 12, 2021 at Pullman, WA
(The Simmelink Courts At Hollingbery Fieldhouse)
#26 Arizona State 6, #38 Washington State 1
- #37 Ilze Hattingh (ASU) def. #55 Michaela Bayerlova (WSU) 6-3, 1-6, 7-6 (7-3)
- #115 Sammi Hampton (ASU) def. Hikaru Sato (WSU) 6-3, 6-4
- Lauryn John-Baptiste (ASU) def. Fifa Kumhom (WSU) 6-0, 7-6 (7-1)
- Guilia Morlet (ASU) def. Pang Jittakoat (WSU) 7-6 (7-4), 6-2
- Savanna Ly-Nguyen (WSU) def. Marianna Argyrokastriti (ASU) 6-4, 6-2
- Domenika Turkovic (ASU) def. Melisa Ates (WSU) 6-2, 7-5
- #50 Ilze Hattingh/Lauryn John-Baptiste (ASU) def. Michaela Bayerlova/Hikaru Sato (WSU) 6-4
- Melisa Antes/Yang Lee (WSU) def. Sammi Hampton/Marianna Argyrokastriti (ASU) 6-3
- Domenika Turkovic/Guilia Morlet (ASU) def. Pang Jittakoat/Fifa Kumhom (WSU) 7-6 (7-4)
Order of finish: Doubles (2, 1, 3); Singles (2, 5, 6, 3, 4, 1)