Huskies Sweep Singles In Outdoor Home Opener
SEATTLE – Under the lights of the Bill Quillian Stadium for the first time in two years, the Huskies earned a 6-1 victory over the visiting Portland Pilots today, taking all six singles matches to improve to 7-5 on the year.
The Huskies trailed after losing the doubles point but responded to start their own momentum in singles. Ewen Lumsden and Han-Chih Lin got the ball rolling as they made quick work of their matches at third and fourth singles. Lumsden beat Issa Yoshida, 6-2, 6-0, and Lin stopped Nicklas Oberg, 6-2, 6-1, to put the Huskies up 2-1.
Adam Torocsik had a 6-4, 6-4 win at No. 6 singles over Leo Hibi to make it 3-1, and then Clement Chidekh rallied in his second set for the second match in a row to get a straight set win at No. 1 singles, beating Sema Pankin, 6-4, 7-6, for the clincher.
"First of all it was a lot of fun playing outdoors under the lights," said Head Coach Matt Anger. "I think it's a great atmosphere. Really a great day for tennis. Following an exciting women's match. Then we come out and play against a very solid team. I like Portland's team, I think they are really improving. Aaron Gross has done a good job. It was a heck of a match. I'm pleased with our guys after losing the doubles point that they were able to come back and pull through on every court."
Completing the singles sweep, Jack Pulliam defeated Nikolas Tvedt at No. 5 singles, 3-6, 6-3, 6-3. Then Jack Davis closed out his No. 2 singles match, 6-4, 4-6, 6-4, over Eleftherios Neos to wrap things up.
Washington will return to Pac-12 play a week from today when Utah comes to town on Friday, Mar. 19, for a 3 p.m. dual.
March 12, 2021
Bill Quillian Stadium | Seattle, Wash.
Washington – 6
Portland – 1
1. Clement Chidekh (UW) def. Sema Pankin (UP) – 6-4, 7-6
2. (#65) Jack Davis (UW) def. Eleftherios Neos (UP) – 6-4, 4-6, 6-4
3. Ewen Lumsden (UW) def. Issa Yoshida (UP) – 6-2, 6-0
4. Han-Chih Lin (UW) def. Nicklas Oberg (UP) – 6-2, 6-1
5. Jack Pulliam (UW) def. Nikolas Tvedt (UP) – 3-6, 6-3, 6-3
6. Adam Torocsik (UW) def. Leo Hibi (UP) – 6-4, 6-4
Order of finish: 3, 4, 6, 1, 5, 2
1. Yoshida/Neos (UP) def. Davis/Alexis Alvarez (UW) – 7-6
2. Pankin/Tvedt (UP) def. Cancel/Chidekh (UW) – 6-1
3. Lumsden/Lin (UW) def. Oberg/Hibi (UP) – 6-0
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1